Out after the comet

The Warthog

We had a clear night lst night, and the usual rotten transparency, althought the seeing has been excellent lately. I polar aligned my scope, and tried to survey the general area where the comet is supposed to be, but since I can see neither Corona Borealis nor Hercules naked-eye, I decided to try getting there with the setting circles. I put the scope on Arcturus, the best star I could see and recognize, and did the offset in degrees and hour angle to put myself in the right ball park, but couldn't see the comet.

OH, I discovered my first problem was that when I was moving the 2 hours over, I thought it was the pointer that was moving, as on my old mount, and not the scale. This put me four hours away at first. Just thought I'd share that with anyone who has done something really stupid this week. :D Fixed that problem, but couldn't see anything remotely resembling a comet. Going to r\try again tonight, of course.

On the plus side, I got a new laser pointer, and was able to shoot out that annoying streetlamp across the way. It stays out for about 10 minutes at a time, which is good. :D

Also went looking for the comet.......good seeing in between the high clouds.....pointed the scope in the general direction with the finder, then just did a scan of the general area.....no show :D but on a major PLUS side saw my first fuzzy :lol:.

AS i was in Hercules assume it was M13? Scanning with the 25mm brought it into view then changed to 10mm, really hard to try and get the focus spot on but def there :D :D :D Got quite a sharp few at first then it just kept drifting in and out assume this was the high thin clouds. Any way well chuffed, my marathon has begun !

On a side note.....HOW hard is it to keep one eye shut ! Was getting face twitches and everything :lol: Think i'll get myself an eyepatch :D and really dumb question time which i might live to regret.....

The dustcap on my scope has two smaller openings with caps on. When would you use these ?

Got quite a sharp few at first then it just kept drifting in and out assume this was the high thin clouds. Any way well chuffed, my marathon has begun !

On a side note.....HOW hard is it to keep one eye shut ! Was getting face twitches and everything :D Think i'll get myself an eyepatch :D and really dumb question time which i might live to regret.....

The dustcap on my scope has two smaller openings with caps on. When would you use these ?

The drifting in and out of focus is either clouds or what's called "seeing". The atmosphere is a t different temperatures and humidities and as the layers move it affects the focus of your 'scope by acting like a very low power lens.

For the two (? only one is removable I think) holes in the bin lid, you can use this/these to reduce the amount of light getting in if your view of e.g. the moon is too bright, just make sure that the hole is between the spiders holding the secondary mirror, makes the 'scope perform better too. Or use it to fit a smaller (as in cheaper) solar filter.

Captain Chaos

I may be wrong it could be that:-

The holes in the dust cap may well be a focusing aid and for collimation too some companies call it Focussing with the Focus-Master - Simply remove the three black plastic plugs (they just pop out by pressing from the rear) and attach the mask to the front of the telescope. If you observe a star of moderate brightness you will see that at an out of focus position you will be presented with an image not of one star but three. Adjust the focuser in the direction that causes the stars to move together and keep adjusting until the three stars merge into just one perfect image - and the scope is now focused. It really is that simple.

This process will work just as well with lunar and planetary targets and will allow you to focus the instrument perfectly even when the seeing is poor or on a dim camera focusing screen or CCD monitor. In these situations it can be difficult to tell the difference between one focus position and another. With the Focus-Master attached there is no uncertainty: if the image is out of focus you will see not one but three images.

Adjust the focus and make the three images merge into one and the instrument is focused. Simply remove the mask and you are ready to begin imaging.

But the story doesn't end here. One aperture of the Focus-Master has a special threaded rim that enables our range of precision-mounted glass solar filters to be screwed into place for off-axis viewing* (see next item below for more info). If this isn't enough, the Focus-Master also provides a good method of checking and adjusting collimation. Still not convinced? The Focus-Master has three large plastic plugs for it's holes so it makes a perfect replacement dust cover as well! Please specify aperture when ordering. * Our range of adapters can also be fitted with Coronado Ha filters.

and really dumb question time which i might live to regret.....

Not a dumb question at all.

Using one of the holes you can put a solar filter on this (perfect for the job)

also using one hole increases the F ratio of your scope but obviously reduces your apature.

Using both the holes this is what is called a "Hartman mask" and is used as a focusing aid.

Chubster

I use a piece of black cloth (doubled over and sewn) over my head - this allows me to keep both eyes open!

And you have the answers on the removable dust cap!

Well I aint writing this very loud in case the great cloud god is sniffing about but just to say I am going to give it a go on the comet front myself tonight its 8.15pm its Bank holiday Monday and its Shhhhhhhhhhh pretty clear ist time in a week off to try out the new lxd75 mount goto as well for power supply its my trusty Watson 35Amp I use for my Radio Ham work its all setup the C8 is cooling nicely, I am chilling too just off to exercise the two dogs creep out and WHAM BAM Thank you ???/. well thats the plan if you know what is busy elsewhere for a change

wish me luck but please don't shout Shhhhhhhhhhhh :D

I saw fragment C thru the Revelation 80. A dark background is necessary to see the surrounding glow and tail; otherwise, it will look like a regular star.

As has already been said, the small aperture in the lens cap is generally used (when positioned between the spider legs) as an alternative to a moon filter and with a suitable filter attached for solar observing.

When viewing thru the smaller aperture, contrast will increase, resolution will decrease.

As for keeping one eye closed: Don't. It takes practise but in time you will become used to leaving both eyes open and only 'seeing' thru the dominant eye. The black cloth is a good idea; Astro Engineering make an excellent one that has metal weights sewn into the hem - works a treat :D

Bagged it :D :D

OK it wasnt brilliant but i found it for sure, which gave me more satisfaction than actually viewing it, it basically looked like a smudge that i couldnt resolve but there was a definate tail....Can i join the comet club now, is there badges for this sort of thing :D

And on I double plus side i think i also found M92 !

My endcap has two bosses on it, one of which is removable, and gives a too small aperture mask. The other one isn't removable, and as far as I can tell is there to facilitate removing the endcap.

Archived