Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wooden tripod

inapottingshed

I notice that some tripods, e.g. Televue, are offered in either ash, or aalnut, whereas Takahashi seem to use walnut only. Whilst it appears that walnut is a little more expensive, I'm wondering is there any significant difference in these materials in terms of vibration damping? I'm planning to make a wooden tripod, and don't want to go through all that work to find I've used a lesser material.

I think the quality of the wood probably matters more than the type....

Ash is excellent for absorbing vibration. Hickory too. Not sure about walnut, but it looks pretty. Humble, cheap & nasty looking pine (deal) is also very good indeed, but do try to select pieces that aren't full of knot holes - and it may not be as long lasting as hardwood. Beech is strong but rings like steel.

cricket bats are made of ash

No, willow, specifically the cricket bat willow - never anything else. Ash is much heavier. Mind you, with the modern fashion for using a "railway sleeper" instead of a properly made lightweight bat (Bradman's was 2 lb 2 oz) one wonders why.

I made my tripod for the HEQ5 out of Ash. It has excellent vibration dampoing properties. I actually made a prototype out of cheap pine to test the design and the difference between the Ash and Pine was significant.

Walnut would look good but I don't think yopu would gain a great deal except a lighter wallet.

Philj

I made my tripod for the HEQ5 out of Ash. It has excellent vibration dampoing properties. I actually made a prototype out of cheap pine to test the design and the difference between the Ash and Pine was significant.

Walnut would look good but I don't think yopu would gain a great deal except a lighter wallet.

Philj

Thanks, I have both ash and walnut stock, but will probably use ash.

Archived