Any views on Hyperions

I think you can do little wrong re. their purchase- If that's your mid-range budget. Hyperions are not "perfect". But I do note they made significant inroads into a "difficult" (Nagler orientated?) US market. <grin> I sense the "Aspheric" 31/36mm are a tad more "interesting" re. performance, but otherwise (with Hyperions generally) not much to dislike... :)

Dunno re. Powermates (Barlows etc.). There's already a "fair bit of glass" in a Hyperion (Smythe lense, whatever?) And I think they work BEST as a 2" eyepiece without additional aids. You might be tempted to (gradually) get the "set" anyway... I know I was! :D

P.S: Hyperions retain almost a "currency-like" S/H value in times of recession? Got me out of one such minor scrape too. :p

I agree with Macavity you cannot go wrong with Hyperion EPs. I have the 5, 8, 17 and 24 Hyperions and use them on my 6" SCT and my 4" APO refractor and have been very satisfied. In addition you can add rings to increase the focal length of individual EPs. By using the 2 sizes of rings I increase my 5mm Hyperion to 4mm, 3.2mm and 2.6mm.

I only bought my 10" f4.7 Flextube Dob last week and have only used it once but the view through 24mm seemed pretty good with only the outer 20% starting to deteriorate. More tests needed.

However opinion would be to recommend these EPs

Mark

I really like my Hyperions... I have the 5, 17 and 24mm. I've used them only in 1.25" mode, and with a 2x barlow. On my short tube refractors, there's a little image deterioration around the edge, but I find the view so much easier than with plossls. As has been mentioned the tubes work great, as does the attachment for fixing an SLR onto the rear of the Hyperion for EP projection.

I seem to be in a minority of one, but I am not terribly impressed with my 17mm Hyperion. It shows distracting edge effects in my F6 Newtonian, and isn't great with for use with spectacles (despite supposedly having good eye-relief). I will admit it is sharp on-axis though.

NigelM

For the money they are pretty impressive, alot better then cheaper plossls. But in faster scopes, as mine which is F4.5 they start to show alot of coma and edge distortion.

Also it suffers from light scatter but I put this down to observing from back yards where sometimes light is a problem.

Eye relief is good and they feal well made.

I like my 13mm and 5mm. They both show slight coma at the edges but its not really bad. The views are pretty good and I find them comfy to use with decent eye relief.

They are pretty solid in construction and feel like quality but as ever I'd seriously recommend having a look through one before you buy.

I've got the full set and they are good eyepeices, decent AFOV, very comfortable to use and decent views but at the current price of around £105 maybe the WO UWANs at £120 are worth considering?

Good point mate, with the recent price rises the Hyperions and newer designs like the UWAN's coming out, they're not quite the bargain they once were. Saying that, I've only just sold my Hyperions to upgrade to some 'posh' EP's as I couldn't see any other range giving a significantly better widefield view other than your Pentax/Televue level of quality, and they cost a fair bit more. 'nice for the money' is the phrase I'd use.

Tony..

Big difference that, I've emailed them and asked if they will do a deal? If any sponsors would give me a discount for the 28, 16 and 7 and I also want a WO Dia for my SCT I'll get them from you, well if you dont ask you want get and all cash saved means less moaning from you know who, no shes coming, got to go lol.

Big difference that, I've emailed them and asked if they will do a deal? If any sponsors would give me a discount for the 28, 16 and 7 and I also want a WO Dia for my SCT I'll get them from you, well if you dont ask you want get and all cash saved means less moaning from you know who, no shes coming, got to go lol.

Sometimes deals can be had but often the best way to find them is through a phone call I find :)

John

Archived