Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tracking Saturn with a crazy telescope

Astral

I've been into this hobby for more years than I care to remember, 18 months ago (or there abouts) I was ready to jack it all in...

It was rarely clear, when it was there was technical problems - but you get a good night and your back and full of enthusiasm.

Stick with it, if you have multiple problems, then attack them one at a time ( I cannot stress that enough). If you're having trouble with the finder, fix that one evening - but have your goal that evening to ONLY fix the finder.

If you manage more then it's a bonus...

You could really do with going out side, observing through a window isn't ideal.

The moon is around for most of the night now, thats a great target to get your finder sorted. Once sorted it should be close enough from one session to the next to find the object your after.

But remember that, with only a few exceptions, you will never see visually the same as the images that get posted.

Keep at it, it will be worth it.

Ant

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really bought this scope for looking at the planets, and if I really got into it I promised myself I would buy a more expensive scope. The dealer assured me this scope would do alright viewing planets but did tell me deeper sky objects might require an upgrade.

Astral - the very fact that you're sticking with it, asking questions on here, is excellent news, it means that (unlike so many aspiring astros) you haven't thrown in the towel, you are still committed to the hobby. Stay with it, keep on asking! Problems will be solved, in time!

To be honest, viewing from an attic is not ideal: especially in the summer months you need to get outdoors. Surprisingly, a grassy pitch may not be a disadvantage: I do all my imaging from a back lawn, spurning a cement platform a few yards away (the reason is, the cement platform is actually the lid of the septic tank and I really don't want to be set up on there! :icon_salut:). What matters, of course, is how firm, well-drained, and compacted the ground is, and whether it's softened by recent rain. My lawn serves very well, with a mount and scope considerably heavier than yours.

Moreover, Saturn is far from being the easiest of targets for a beginner with a starter scope. You need a high magnification to see any detail and high mag. automatically points to unstable viewing! When Jupiter comes into view later this year, try that!

One accessory which might help you out a bit, is a drive for your mount. I've had a quick glance at the Celestron site and there does appear to be a single-axis drive available to fit your mount, at reasonable cost. I don't know how it performs, but worth considering - even if it doesn't track perfectly the benefits will be immediately apparent.

If you fit a drive, then, once you have your object in view there will be no need to touch the scope, or the mount, at all. Train yourself to look into the eyepiece without touching it, or any part of the scope. If you invite friends around to have a look, tell them to do likewise. A lot depends on the 'eye relief' of the eyepieces you have - i.e. the distance your eye needs to be from the lens for best field of view, the position of the so-called exit pupil. I don't know what it is for your eyepieces. It also depends on whether you wear glasses, and if so whether you keep them on for viewing (as I do). Others may be able to advise here.

I seem to be contradicting myself here, but I'd next suggest - don't rush out and spend loads-a-money (well you say you won't be doing that anyway!) until you've had a while of practice - you've got your whole life ahead of you surely. Stick with the kit you've bought until you know more about the direction you want to take for your next investment... Go to an astro club, as suggested. Visit star parties, visit other astronomers, take up any offer to look through their kit. Indeed, if you're ever down our way (SW France) at a time when we're down there, you're welcome to drop in.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived