Suggestions for tonight? (2nd night in a row)

rawhead

Like most peeps who got out last night I had an excellent session with the new 10'' (the Tal2M mount is working out really well) picked up most of the 'glory' targets...

An early look at Saturn before it slipped behind the trees followed later by M13, Albiero, M57, M27 M51, M81 and M82...

I don't just want a repeat of last night tonight. I have good views to the East and North.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

(Edit: Assuming it stays clear! :cool: )

Jon

What time are you staying out till?

If it is dark in time try NGC4565, great edge on galaxy.

You have an eastern sky full of globs to 'do', try M3 and M5, and also have a crack at M92, M29, M39, M106.

Later on you should be able to get decent views of the Veil Complex, NGC 6960, well worth staying up for.

I use Stellarium (free) as a very easy to use visual guide that helps me to interpret where I should be looking and at what time. You can easily preview the night ahead this way, weather permitting of course!

Tim

Thanks guys.

Tonightssky looks interesting. Added to my bookmark collection.

I do find Stellarium very useful for tracking down targets. Not so good for suggesting them in the first place…

On the hitlist for tonight:

NGC6543 Cats Eye Nebula

NGC6826 Blinking Nebula

NGC 6960 Veil Nebula

+ assorted globs

Should keep my busy :cool:

(NGC4565 might be a little to westward by the time it gets dark)

Cheers

Jon

Yes Steve saw the Blinking and Catseye nebulas without the aid of filters. Actually these were very easy to see and appeared as a very deep blue colour.

Jarndyce an O111 filter isolates two double ionized oxygen lines (496 & 501nm lines) emitted by planetary & faint nebulae so to enable you to see the object more clearly, but this does have a side effect in that it dims the surrounding area.

Archived