Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skyliner 300p dob

Orion Optics (UK) sell their metal dobsonian mounts separately. You would need to check that they would fit your optical tube. They are not cheap though. See the bottom right hand side of this web page:

Dobsonian OD300 L

Alternatively you could make a replacement base yourself - the design is very simple and you could use marine ply which would be more sturdy than the chipboard original.

John

:cool: thats what im paying for the scope!!! i think i probably could make a base myself being a carpenter!! :) is it as easy as tracing the old one and copying it?? ive no clue!!!

I've seen pictures of scopes where they have done just that - used the old parts as templates for new ones made of better quality materials. You can re-use things like the feet, the teflon pads etc, etc. There is nothing really sophisticated about a dobsonian mount - that's the joy of them :)

I agree that the Orion Optics ones are expensive though.

John

Chris

Chapter 13 of Kriege & Berrys excellent book 'The Dobsonian Telescope' tells you how to build a small dob scope. This might help in planning and building a base. Here is a link to the publisher:

The Dobsonian Telescope, A Practical Manual for Building Large Aperture Telescopes by David Kriege and Richard Berry

If you don't want to buy the book, it's about £25 you could get it on inter library loan from your local library.

There are also some useful ideas here:

1stBase Collapsible Mounts

Hope this is of use

Adrian

Thanks guy's for the info, its a great help! :)

one more thing, do you think im making a mistake going from skywatcher 130 to a massive 12inch dobsonian?? after all im still very new to the hobby!! the weight is not a problem as im a big strong boy!! :cool:

Thanks guy's for the info, its a great help! :)

one more thing, do you think im making a mistake going from skywatcher 150 to a massive 12inch dobsonian?? after all im still very new to the hobby!! the weight is not a problem as im a big strong boy!! :cool:

If you can store it and use it as much as possible then APERTURE RULES.

So NO you are not making a mistake IMO

Just been out with the new gear! absolutely superb!! Cant believe that such a big scope and mount can be so easy to control with finger tips!!. collomation also seemed to be pretty good. was still pretty light so only gazed at the brightest stars and saturn which was really bright and clear! got 2 eyepieces , the ones that came with the scope, a 10 and a 25mm! Being new to astronomy i didnt really know what eyepieces would be best for this scope so i ordered a celestron case with 5 eyepieces a few filters and a 2x barlow which sould hopefully come tommorrow!! :cool:

Archived