S50. New model?

PeterW

Pictures are circulating from ZWO of a teaser “coming soon” image..: no details what, when, how much…. Be very interesting to see which way they are moving. Better specs/capability, larger aperture…. 

peter

• Like 2

At NEAF in April the word from ZWO was that they plan to develop the SeeStar in two separate directions, one product strand for newcomers to the hobby along the same lines as the current S50, and another strand of products aimed at more experienced astrophotographers with bigger apertures.

Sounds a bit like the direction mobile phones have gone - ie introduce one model at first, which “everyone” buys. Then produce  a more expensive version, with more “must have” features, maybe stick the word “pro” in the title (think Apple iPhone). People who have the early “non-pro” & some others rush to buy the “pro”. It’s marketing. After all, everyone wants to be a Pro 😀

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Smaller and lighter apparently! Specs still to be confirmed.

Excellent.  Will be well worth existing owners upgrading when it releases.   Everyone who currently has one should probably sell theirs now at a reasonable markdown before the market experiences a glut.

What's that?  Why yes I am trying to influence existing owners so I can pick up a lightly used one on the cheap 🤣

• Haha 4

Pure speculation but being 30mm I'd guess this is around 100-120mm focal length optics, perhaps with a similar sensor to the SS50, or would it possibly go into 585 territory?

If the small lens is a photographic lens I'd estimate it a very wide maybe 6-10mm FL so you can do milky way/landscape imaging.

It'd fit in the range as a smaller more compact Seestar. I've read somewhere maybe another will be revealed soon (maybe a SS80?), but I find that doubtful considering how well the SS50 is doing.

On 02/10/2024 at 09:58, Jeff-Colorado said:

A reasonably priced S80 would be intriguing.

Given that an S80 takes more than 2.5x the amount of glass than the S50, the price isn't going to be as immediately attractive. 

And that's apart from it likely being up to 60% bigger.

Depending on the sensor the on sky pixel size will be much smaller and the field of view smaller…. It’s really a decision of what objects you want to go after. The s50 is a great compromise, some want wider and some want more detail.

peter

On 26/09/2024 at 10:11, PeterStudz said:

Sounds a bit like the direction mobile phones have gone - ie introduce one model at first, which “everyone” buys. Then produce  a more expensive version, with more “must have” features, maybe stick the word “pro” in the title (think Apple iPhone). People who have the early “non-pro” & some others rush to buy the “pro”. It’s marketing. After all, everyone wants to be a Pro 😀

Or HEQ5 ‘Pro’ 😂 

• Haha 1

At a 300 odd price point it'd be worth it as a plonk and play device. I prefer widefield, but if it's too wide (IE the smaller lens) I wouldn't be able to use that from home due to immediately close light sources. Once you start going above 200-300mm focal length (ref an SS80) good tracking starts to become an issue, especially on alt az, you likely won't even be able to do 10s images at such a FL without significant star trailing (then people will start wondering why the device will be rejecting so many images in the live stack).

17 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

Link to any more details ?

I'd have to try and find the forum post again, basically someone asked the question and I believe ZWO replied stating one is being looked at but technical issues have to be overcome or something along those lines. The rep at ZWOs keynote presentation earlier this year at NEAF also confirmed others are in development, but no details were provided, though we are least now know about the S30.

• Like 1