Accessories for Mak 127.

1 minute ago, Zermelo said:

Something like this?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/william-optics-125-rotolock-visual-back-for-sct.html

But I agree, it's as much about the benefits of a 2" diagonal when you have an unwieldy configuration.

I stand corrected, but the 1.25" Rotolock is the same price as the Baader 2" Clicklock.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tico said:

The SKy-Watcher 127 Mak doesn't have an SCT fitting so an extra adapter would be required.

thanks

Tico

Yes the 150 and 180 Maksutovs from Skywatcher come with a SCT threaded visual back and a 2" connection. Alas the 127 doesn't. Even the 150 and 180 are devoid of a compression ring though they both have multiple screws to grip your accessories. Having previously owned both the 127 and 150 and currently owning the 180, I fitted a 2" Baader clicklock to them all. Wonderful things clicklocks 😁.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tico said:

The SKy-Watcher 127 Mak doesn't have an SCT fitting so an extra adapter would be required.

thanks

Tico

In the US, they do.  I can confirm this because I bought my daughter one.  They also come with a 2" visual back, 2" diagonal and 2" 28mm eyepiece:

So, before making blanket statements, you need to qualify them with perhaps "In Europe" since not everyone on this forum is in Europe.

I would recommend anti-vibration pads for the tripod feet.  I cut down the focus or nudging vibration settling time from 3 seconds o 1/2 second using them.  When using the scope unguided on an alt-az mount, this makes a world of difference to increase usable observing time at high powers between nudges.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2024 at 12:35, Louis D said:

I would recommend anti-vibration pads for the tripod feet.  I cut down the focus or nudging vibration settling time from 3 seconds o 1/2 second using them.  When using the scope unguided on an alt-az mount, this makes a world of difference to increase usable observing time at high powers between nudges.

Louis, can you explain how this works please?

I do use the pads to cut down on vibration transmitted from observer's footsteps, etc., up the tripod legs and into the OTA.  But I've always assumed that the vibrations induced by nudging or focusing are down to flexure in the equipment, and would only be reduced by tightening the joints, stiffening along the lengths, or increasing the mass.

3 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I do use the pads to cut down on vibration transmitted from observer's footsteps, etc., up the tripod legs and into the OTA.  But I've always assumed that the vibrations induced by nudging or focusing are down to flexure in the equipment, and would only be reduced by tightening the joints, stiffening along the lengths, or increasing the mass.

When I've used anti-vibration pads (the 3-piece type) while they have not stopped vibrations from starting, the dampening times did seem to be speeded up, which was welcome. You can get back to observing more quickly 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I think the idea is that when you nudge the scope a lot of the force goes into the vibration pads rather than the rigid equipment - so you set the pads off vibrating rather than the scope/mount/tripod. (Or more correctly the tripod and its load moves from side to side on the pads rather than start resonating itself).  And the pads are designed to dissipate their vibration more quickly than resonating tripods.

Either that or it's magic pixies, I always get them mixed up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zermelo said:

When I touch the mount/scope combination in any manner, a vibration will be setup in the system due to flexure.  The more rigid the mount, the higher the frequency.  Think of it as the springs in your car's suspension.  When you hit a bump, the springs absorb the shock, but return it back in the form of bouncing.  That bouncing will die out eventually, but you might get nauseous waiting.  This is where shock absorbers come in.  The are actually vibration or bounce dampeners.  They convert the vibrational or bounce energy into heat via a dampening fluid in the piston.  They dissipate the vibrational or bounce energy rather quickly for a comfortable ride and to maintain control.

This is where anti-vibration pads come into the picture.  The mount acts like the suspension spring, and the pads act like shock absorbers, dampening the vibrations by converting them into heat in their viscous gel-like material.

I use 100% Sorbothane pads because it has very good shock absorbing properties.  You can get them for phonograph players, washing machines, test equipment, etc., if you check around on ebay and other sources.

• Thanks 2

I just agree with everything that has been said above. I have the same scope and I love it. The first upgrade I did was to get a better short focal length eyepiece (the 10mm that came with mine was horrible to use with spectacles). Consider that, because of the long focal length, your optics is quite forgiving for eyepieces of "lesser" quality.

• Like 1