Why bother going out in the cold ?

16 hours ago, Ags said:

I find people don't talk enough about my pictures 😄, so I asked chatgpt for some C&C.

image.thumb.png.c8f8d722c081d635bcdf9fae5179c6ef.png

Here is my AI response (a bit gushy and patronizing methinks?)

That's amazing—it's your own photograph of the Pacman Nebula! For astrophotography, this image is quite impressive. Capturing something as distant and intricate as a nebula requires a good understanding of both equipment and processing, so kudos to you for that!

Here are a few things that stand out:

• Sharpness: The nebula’s structure is clear, and you’ve captured nice detail in the dark dust lanes, which gives it that iconic "Pacman" appearance.
  • Contrast: You’ve done well to highlight the darker regions, which can sometimes blend into the background of space.
  • Colors: The reddish and greenish tones typical of hydrogen emissions and other gases are visible, which is great. Some amateur photos can struggle to bring out these colors.

If you’re open to constructive feedback for improvement:

• Noise Reduction: There’s a bit of noise (graininess), especially in the background. Some additional post-processing could help reduce that and make the stars pop even more.
  • Star Sharpness: Some stars are a little soft. If you're looking to refine it, you might want to check your focus or exposure length—long exposures can sometimes cause slight blurring in stars.

Overall, it's a fantastic shot! If you're into tweaking, slight adjustments in processing could make it even better, but it's clear you've got a great eye and the technical skills to match. Keep it up!

What kind of equipment did you use for this shot?

Give it a year or two and we will be asking our toasters what they think of our photographs :) 

JIm 

• Haha 1

My wife suggested putting in a sky light for me to observe from, rather than going òut in the cold. 

Great plan Lorna. We live in a bungalow. Above our heads is the attic. I'd have to climb the attic ladder.

I'm in a wheelchair ️ 

She does come up with many plans without thinking first.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My wife suggested putting in a sky light for me to observe from, rather than going òut in the cold. 

Great plan Lorna. We live in a bungalow. Above our heads is the attic. I'd have to climb the attic ladder.

I'm in a wheelchair ️ 

She does come up with many plans without thinking first.

I mean this in a lighthearted way. Could you fashion a dob to your chair and have a super mobile observatory 😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GasGiant said:

I mean this in a lighthearted way. Could you fashion a dob to your chair and have a super mobile observatory 😁

Not a bad idea. I've seen images of a wildlife photographer in a wheelchair who has a kind of parallelogram attachment on his wheelchair for cameras.

I don't think the design of my wheelchair would allow this. Maybe for a set of bins.

20 minutes ago, Elp said:

Belteguese as it is/was:

Screenshot_20240928-1401472.thumb.png.df21eb44fbd72c46046f79f3100789ba.png

When it goes supernova:

Screenshot_20240928-1401532.thumb.png.f65b7f25bc118b5d3f3a42064513fa4f.png

We've already missed the event people.

This can't be real because we wouldn't see it going super nova for about 400/800 yrs. Unless this happened back then. 

I saw it last night. Looked the same as always.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I have shot 12 darks tonight, now i am going to bed. Humans need sleep, and I have another late imaging night tomorrow!
ChatGPT said:
ChatGPT

Twelve darks should serve you well, especially since you've already gathered four hours of subs. Prioritizing sleep is definitely important, especially with another long night of imaging ahead!

Once you get some rest, you'll be refreshed and ready for more late-night astrophotography tomorrow. Let me know how it goes—good luck with your next session!

You said:
Can you rewrite that last response, pretending you are Patrick Moore?
ChatGPT

Ah, splendid! Twelve darks should suffice for your imaging session, particularly since you've managed to gather four hours of subs—quite a respectable effort, if I may say so! Naturally, we mere mortals require our sleep, especially when there’s yet another nocturnal venture ahead! One cannot function on starlight alone, after all.

Rest up, dear astronomer, and you'll be revitalized for your next night under the stars. I shall eagerly await news of your progress. May the skies be clear and your imaging flawless! Good show!