NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 72ED

Hello, Does anyone have this refractor? Do you know its weight and length? I have a robust photographic tripod to use for terrestrial observation, by the way, does it have a lot of C.Aberration? And for lunar stars, planets and bright Messier, how about? I don't want it for astrophotography. Just as a grab and go telescope... and put it (if possible) on a Nexstar SE 6/8 mount. I forgot, how does it work better... with a 1.25" or 2" diagonal mirror? thank you so much 

Tico

• Like 1

i bought mine from first light optics, weight etc should be listed on there. i replied to you cn post too just now :)

i think it was 1.8kg ota only

all my images in my gallery here were taken with it. it has some purple fringing for astrophotography, no idea if that would matter for visual use. 

• Like 2

Hello @tico, have had the SW72ED for a short period , took it for grab&go and AP, used it on a heavy fluid head video tripod with Canon T2i DSLR and both 2" and 1.25" diagonals and EP's. Best use for visual I got with a 1.25" TV Everbright diagonal + EP's ( Pan24/ Nag13-9-7-5) but it keped it's cool with a TS 2" diagonal and the APM UFF 30mm too.  

Pros: good build , light, good optical quality , no CA that I was able to discern on visual and only the slightest blue/violet fringe for very bright objects like Jupiter and the new Moon horn on AP but only if you really looked for them, also very good for day use if you have a 45deg AMICI diagonal.

Cons: the focuser on my unit was not the best, it was slipping too easily when loaded with the DSLR.This was no.1 reason that got me to change it for an 80mm OTA that also is just a tad better on visual.Also - if you care about that , I didn't - the glass used in it's lenses is a 'mystery'

Not a lot of pictures with it , but here's one you can see the DSLR mounted on.

SW72ED with EOS T2i.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tico said:

I have read a comment in which it is said that comparing a WO 61mm with a SW 72ED... the first was far above the SW...

image.png

I haven't used the latter but owning the former (zenithstar) I can tell you it's incredibly good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I have the 72ed. I'd hope the William optics is better for the extra cost. The wo 0.8 reducer alone is over half the cost of my 72ed plus flattener.

Aperture master race ;)

Well for one I don't get purple stars... ;)

Think @AstroNebulee sorted his SW with a filter, may or may not be a similar issue.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I have just obtained a Zenithstar 80mm and I am not happy with it for visual. I am going to back to a Skywatcher 80ED as they are great visual scopes. The Zenithstar is FPL51 whereas the older 80ED is FPL53 and the new ones are a FPL53 equivalent. The Zenithstar is a good looking telescope though.

5 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

The Zenithstar is FPL51

The latest models which have been around for at least longer than I've owned mine (over five years) are FPL53, its written around the objective. Next to no colour fringing whatsoever, visual or photographic.

I think, for the money, it's an excellent scope. CA is pretty minimal, but is there on moon and planets. A semi apo filter will soon sort that if it bothers you. 

I would have a strong preference for a 2 inch diagonal because of how good this scope is as a rich field instrument- cruising the milky way with a low mag/wide field eyepiece is a joy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elp said:

The latest models which have been around for at least longer than I've owned mine (over five years) are FPL53, its written around the objective. Next to no colour fringing whatsoever, visual or photographic

Yes the latest Zenithstars are indeed FPL53. I bought an older Zenithstar II (blue model) which is FPL51. It's definitely inferior and will be leaving me after only 2 weeks to be replaced with a 80ED with FPL53. It's a pity as it's a beautiful telescope and finished to a high degree.

Edited by bosun21