SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2nd ever attempt at imaging

ribuck

Well I think going forward i have 2 things i needs to do,

1) Get a new ccd so i'm not using the same sensor for imaging and guiding, which will save me a lot of time.

2) Amend my Home made Dome so that i can get to the senith, as currently i'm limited to about 55-60 degree's. which will also give me a lot more imaging time. A job for some point in the summer.

Rich.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Rich,

Your images hve given me a boost mate, as I too have the MX916. It was bandied around as a very sensitive sensor, and a boon for Comet seekers, and other faint objcts. I did not want to use the Star 2000 with mine for the same reason you complain of, that the pixels are designated to both guide and Image, but not at the same time therefore exposure times are by necessity doubled.

I got a SXV guidehead with the upgraded sensor in it, so that eliminates sharing the main cameras pixels.

Anyway, your attempts here are more in keeping with a more experienced Imager, they are so good. The future looks very promising for you. I would persevere with what you have for the time being mate, I'm sure you will glean a lot more from the 916.

You have certainly got off to a flyer with M81/82.

Ron.:)

Thanks Ron,

That's very kind of you. Getting a clear night and a a half decent image has certainly lifted my sprits a lot, as after 6 months of not getting any prolonged clear sky (1hr+) i started to loose heart about the investment i had made.

Ron can i just ask how the guide head works ? I'm presuming that you do need a seperate ota to use as a guide scope, which is something i dont have right now.

I'm looking forward to see some of you images with your Mx916, so dont forget toPM when you post some up.

Rich.

Hi Rich. Sorry I'm late replying.

Yes, you need a second guidescope, but it doesn't have to be anything elaborate. The SXV has a cable with a multi pin flat connecter at each end. One plugs into the guidhead, the other end into the USB box. I think the Star 2000 would have the same connector, though I'm not sure.

Here's a pic of the SXV Connected to the USB box. As you see, the guidehead is only about the size of a low power eyepiece

Ron.:)

post-13213-133877372319_thumb.jpg

I've been imaging for years and have nothing like that to show for it.

I'm sure that there is improvement there (isn't there always?) but if I took that I'd be dancing around the room, giggling like a child!

I think it's great!!!!

Ant

Thanks for all the kind comments. And thanks to everyone who had a bash at re-processing in photoshop. I think i may have to get a hold of a few photoshop video tutorial to get a better understanding of the basics of photoshop in particular Curves and levels.

Rich.

Archived