Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Time Observing The Sun

JDT81

Recently got 6" Tabletop Dob that came with a free solar filter that I wasn't too bothered about. 

Having twiddle my thumbs waiting for a clear night, I got a break in the clouds during the day & figured I might as well check out the sun. 

Wow! 

Was not expecting the sun to be so interesting or to be able to see sun spots. Definitely going to have I start viewing the sun regularly now. 

Rubbish phone to the eye piece pictures attached. 

20240616_164440.jpg

• Like 9

Good stuff 🙂

If you want to know a bit more about what is happening on the Sun, I find this website useful:

www.SolarMonitor.org

I'm sure there are other sources of solar info as well 🙂

Edited by John

I'd suggest losing the 'solar filter' that came with it and replacing it with one made from Baader AstroSolar Safety film (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html)

The photo you captured shows a very low contrast , the background should be inky black without that nasty orange bleedthrough.

• Thanks 1

This is how a white light solar view should look and this was taken with a colour camera, I wouldn't use the one you have currently:

Sun-05-09-21-8bitWhiteLight-doimg_125121.thumb.jpg.17190899e1ca981692e90298d66e8edd.jpg

With a Seymour Solar film (the Seymour is a black coloured film) the sun is an orange/yellow colour, again the background is inky black as mentioned above. The above was taken with Baader film which is silver coloured, it comes in two varieties, photographic and the above ND5/OD5 visual, for safety and standardisation it's best to get the visual one.

7 hours ago, JDT81 said:

Recently got 6" Tabletop Dob that came with a free solar filter that I wasn't too bothered about. 

Having twiddle my thumbs waiting for a clear night, I got a break in the clouds during the day & figured I might as well check out the sun. 

Wow! 

Was not expecting the sun to be so interesting or to be able to see sun spots. Definitely going to have I start viewing the sun regularly now. 

Rubbish phone to the eye piece pictures attached. 

I'll have a guess that it's a Bresser 'scope with included plastic-y solar filter ? I had the same thing included with a 102 Bresser refractor I bought. I'd already had a little experience of white light solar with a smaller 'frac and Baader film/home made holder, and was so deeply unimpressed with the fuzzy low contrast image and orange cast with the Bresser filter, that the thing went straight back in the box, never to be seen again until I got the packaging down from the loft when I sold that 'scope.

I made a filter from the Baader visual film I already had, it really is streets ahead. I don't think Bresser's included orange filter is a danger to eyesight, but it's a poor substitute for the good stuff !

• Like 3

Welcome.

I took your image and reduced the colour intensity.
There was lots of surface detail but it was hiding in the coloured fog..
The limb darkening was horribly overdone by the free software and my clumsiness.
Get some Baader Solar Film filter material and you will be amazed!

jdt81 image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Welcome.

I took your image and reduced the colour intensity.
There was lots of surface detail but it was hiding in the coloured fog..
The limb darkening was horribly overdone by the free software and my clumsiness.
Get some Baader Solar Film filter material and you will be amazed!

jdt81 image.jpg

Thank you, the photo was just me sticking my photo to the eye piece so really didn't expect a well taken picture. Certainly looks better with a bit of processing. 

• Like 1