Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally used my Askar135b - on elephant trunk nebula

Very early I I tried mounting my GS like you have, you better be absolutely certain the mount doesn't have other ideas about how to rotate in Dec.

The result from that scope is crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Very early I I tried mounting my GS like you have, you better be absolutely certain the mount doesn't have other ideas about how to rotate in Dec.

F. You're right. Guess I never had the scope point that way. Time to rethink this before winters. Going to put my c8 on the mount and going by the number of times I get a chance to go out, I can park this setup for a while. 

Thanks for preventing a disaster

For a small setup like that you have a number of choices:

1. If you've got the fixings, mount the GS on top of the lens collar,

2. Get a short dovetail and associated hardware to mount them side by side (two dovetails in a cross formation),

3. One of my favourites, get a few cheese plates (camera/videography hardware which are infinitely configurable), mount them onto a dovetail and you can place the optics however you want. I've managed a dual setup with minimal pieces.

• Like 1

Nice pictures!

My little 135 IS the guide camera! Although there is the theoretical possibility I will use it as my imaging scope sometimes and use the RC6 as a monster guider!

I am also thinking of adding an Evoguide 50 as a third scope although I'll need a second capture computer as the ASIAIR seems to be a one camera only thing - annoying.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Elp said:

12 hours ago, aramitsharma said:

Yep. I think so.. haven't noticed any issues in rotation

I was thinking along the same lines as Elp. Sometimes mounts go spontaneously mad and rotate in any direction they can, so if you're relying on the mount behaving properly you'd be taking a risk if collision between guidescope and power cable were physically possible.

8 hours ago, Ags said:

Nice pictures!

My little 135 IS the guide camera! Although there is the theoretical possibility I will use it as my imaging scope sometimes and use the RC6 as a monster guider!

I am also thinking of adding an Evoguide 50 as a third scope although I'll need a second capture computer as the ASIAIR seems to be a one camera only thing - annoying.

Reflectors make poor guiders because of mirror movement...

Olly