Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

cloudy m13...

Tim

...with dodgy star shapes...

Ah well. I've been trying to get some pics via the Skywatcher mak-newt that I have on loan from FLO, but havent had enough clear hours to get the thing sorted properly for myself.

Today I managed to tidy a few things up with it though and also with my cameras and OAG, and a bit of a tweak to the collimation which I hope will sort out the slightly egg shaped stars that I have had so far with it.

At any rate, there was a half clear sky the other night, and I managed to grab 4 x 600 on M13. There was a huge low moon not doing any favours, so I'm glad to get anything really. I quite like the colours as they look here on my laptop, what do you guys think?

Have to say, that apart from the focusser, so far I am impressed with the Mak-newt. The rest of the fit and finish are of a much finer quality than I expected, and the whole tube feels solidly put together. I hope that later tonight it will clear enough to enable me to see if my daytime tweaks have paid off....just need to stay awake that long......

cheers

TJ

post-14037-133877371658_thumb.jpg

Whatever the problems you were battling TJ, they are not reflected in this Image. It looks damned good to me.

As I have the Instrument too, what are the vagaries with the stock focuser, is it too course, Image shift, or some other nasty.?

I believe Steve himself highlighted the shortcomings of that element of the instrument when it first surfaced at Flo. Looks like I will need to spend some more pennies.:)

Ron.:D

If I had a bahtinov mask for it Ron, the stock focusser would probably be ok. It's just that when you are used to a finer one (my others are moonlite and steeltrak) it does seem a little coarse. There is a little bit of play in it as well, at least there was with the fittings I was using on my camera. As it happens, my steeltrak focusser fits neatly onto it using the skywatcher plate, so focussing tonight was a lot easier. The star shapes seem better, although still perhaps a bit eggy, its hard to tell from the FITs. I was going to ask you how you collimate yours Ron?

It's a hefty crop on this one Kevin. I've just finished the subs for the night, I'll grab some flats when it is a little lighter, then post up what I've just grabbed. It seems better, but not yet 'perfect'

The mask deign has been manufactured before TJ... Steve L and a couple of others have them let me know if you want/need one suppose it depends if the scope becoem a keeper really...

I'll PDF the design and PM you a link - I wouldnt fancy cutting it by hand :)

Peter...

If I had a bahtinov mask for it Ron, the stock focusser would probably be ok. It's just that when you are used to a finer one (my others are moonlite and steeltrak) it does seem a little coarse. There is a little bit of play in it as well, at least there was with the fittings I was using on my camera. As it happens, my steeltrak focusser fits neatly onto it using the skywatcher plate, so focussing tonight was a lot easier. The star shapes seem better, although still perhaps a bit eggy, its hard to tell from the FITs. I was going to ask you how you collimate yours Ron?

Peter cut a mask for the 190 MN, I don't know how he is placed for getting another one made. I could loan you mine for a while if you like, I won't be needing it until I've got the EQ6 on a permanent pier.

It seems the mask is the answer to the focuser dilemma too, see SteveL's post.

Ron.:)

Ah thats where the 3rd one went :)

I can get odd masks cut once a month need to wait until I get a strips worth - got an 8'x4' sheet that were nibbling our way through... were still trying to decide whether to buy our own desktop laser cutter which I'll be able to do plastic masks on...once a week...

Peter...

Archived