NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with the Southern Hemisphere please!

I'm spending a bit of time in the Australian Outback and on a small island off Tonga this summer.

I'm hoping to bring my Tak FC76DCU.

Can you help me come up with a list of objects to observe please?

I am more interested in brighter showpiece objects, rather than dimmer challenging objects.

Many Thanks,

Malcolm

• Like 2

If you use Sky Safari it'll give you a "tonight's best" with stats like rising and set times, the descriptions are also good to read.

Obvious candidates would be the two Magellanic clouds, Coal sack, Tarantula and Carina nebulas.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You could try the globular clusters Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae. There's also the Jewel Box in Crux.

Edited by glafnazur
Added text
  • Thanks 1

I was in NZ recently and had one clear night.   I had very dark sky and the milky way came alive.  I Just scanned naked eye for interesting features then panned my small 55mm refractor for a closer look.  Omega Centauri popped out of the eye piece but I could not resolve individual stars.  I did not have Eta Carina in mind but my eye was just naturally drawn to it.  For me LMC and SMC were hopeless in the eyepiece, just look up and they become apparent,  both were larger than I was expecting.   I grew up in NZ and as a kid always wondered why there was an empty piece of space.  I now know it is the coal sack.  I have my fingers crossed for clear skies for you.   If you get a proper dark night with clear skies in the outback you are in for a treat.  For me I looked first then used sky safari the next day to work out what I was looking at ( e.g  Eta Carina).

Al  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MalcolmM, this is so weird, I was literally wondering the same thing! I’m also taking my FC76DCU to Australia  in August, and I am just trying to put together an observing list.

Mine so far are:

LMC and SMC, Tarantula nebula, 47 Tucanae, Omega Centauri, M22, Jewel Box, Little Jewel Box (NGC3293), Coalsack, Eta Carina nebula, Alpha Centauri, the Southern Ring (NGC3132) and the Lagoon and Triffid nebulae. And of course the upside down northern sky. I think the scope will be very nice to just cruise along the core of the Milky Way.

I am using Stephen O’Meara’s Southern Gems book, as well as his very nice book, Night Skies of Botswana which gives a good overview of the southern sky for those not familiar with it. I’m putting my observing list together using SkySafari, as I found this invaluable when observing from Monument Valley earlier this year. 

I’d be very interested to hear if you come across any other good targets!

IMG_0153.thumb.jpeg.1d525da02fc0555fe8990662ab3f0cb3.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

@MalcolmM, this is so weird, I was literally wondering the same thing! I’m also taking my FC76DCU to Australia  in August, and I am just trying to put together an observing list.

Mine so far are:

LMC and SMC, Tarantula nebula, 47 Tucanae, Omega Centauri, M22, Jewel Box, Little Jewel Box (NGC3293), Coalsack, Eta Carina nebula, Alpha Centauri, the Southern Ring (NGC3132) and the Lagoon and Triffid nebulae. And of course the upside down northern sky. I think the scope will be very nice to just cruise along the core of the Milky Way.

I am using Stephen O’Meara’s Southern Gems book, as well as his very nice book, Night Skies of Botswana which gives a good overview of the southern sky for those not familiar with it. I’m putting my observing list together using SkySafari, as I found this invaluable when observing from Monument Valley earlier this year. 

I’d be very interested to hear if you come across any other good targets!

IMG_0153.thumb.jpeg.1d525da02fc0555fe8990662ab3f0cb3.jpeg

Thanks for the targets and book recommendations @Nicola Fletcher. The targets you list seem to be the showcase ones! I'm collating lots of targets at the moment and intend to rationalise them and do some cheat sheets. I'll be happy to share them. I'm beginning to wish I had started this exercise months ago! From what little I've read it sounds like we're in for a real treat :)

There's one called the Wishing Well cluster which sounds intriguing as does the Gem Cluster - just names to me at the moment. 

Also, here's a sketch I found on-line that might be useful, though I suspect your books cover it all and more.

If only I could pack my Mewlon 180 ☹️

Malcolm 

Screenshot_20240528_225140_Drive.thumb.jpg.bf69bbbefd677abbdd949c9084630c2c.jpg

Thank you for the map @MalcolmM, that’s excellent. I found an annotated image online (from Babak Tafreshi whose book is also wonderful) that is similar - it’s interesting to compare them:

IMG_0151.thumb.jpeg.4f043cab6a720c53c275f74d81307e56.jpeg

I would be really grateful if you would share your cheat sheets - I suspect that any amount of preparation will still leave me looking up at the sky in confusion for the first while! A member of my Astro club recommended trying to learn the placement of some of the major stars so it’s easier to orient myself, and I am planing on doing that. 
I believe the Gem cluster is also called the Little Jewel Box, and the Wishing Well is called the Pincushion cluster in O’Meara’s book. I’ve added that to my target list too, thanks!
It would be great to have the Mewlon 180C, I agree. I still wouldn’t leave the FC76 behind though, it is a brilliant little scope and a complete pleasure to use. Especially when I’m unfamiliar with the sky,  it is so easy to find targets with it. I think the widefield views will suit the southern sky perfectly. I will be stopping off in Tokyo on the way so am hoping to get to Starbase and might just have to pick up some accessories for it! 

Thanks @DirkSteele. I'll check out your link. I have enjoyed the content of your web site very much, particularly your Tak reviews which,  along with certain members here, have helped push me down the Tak obsession path :) No blame, just a big thank you 🙂

Malcolm 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

Thank you for the map @MalcolmM, that’s excellent. I found an annotated image online (from Babak Tafreshi whose book is also wonderful) that is similar - it’s interesting to compare them:

IMG_0151.thumb.jpeg.4f043cab6a720c53c275f74d81307e56.jpeg

I would be really grateful if you would share your cheat sheets - I suspect that any amount of preparation will still leave me looking up at the sky in confusion for the first while! A member of my Astro club recommended trying to learn the placement of some of the major stars so it’s easier to orient myself, and I am planing on doing that. 
I believe the Gem cluster is also called the Little Jewel Box, and the Wishing Well is called the Pincushion cluster in O’Meara’s book. I’ve added that to my target list too, thanks!
It would be great to have the Mewlon 180C, I agree. I still wouldn’t leave the FC76 behind though, it is a brilliant little scope and a complete pleasure to use. Especially when I’m unfamiliar with the sky,  it is so easy to find targets with it. I think the widefield views will suit the southern sky perfectly. I will be stopping off in Tokyo on the way so am hoping to get to Starbase and might just have to pick up some accessories for it! 

Some good advice here. The few times I've been in truly dark skies, the sheer number of stars has left me utterly lost! To say nothing of the familiar ones being the wrong way round :)

Very envious of you hopefully getting to Starbase! Have a great trip.

Malcolm 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Some good advice here. The few times I've been in truly dark skies, the sheer number of stars has left me utterly lost! To say nothing of the familiar ones being the wrong way round :)

Very envious of you hopefully getting to Starbase! Have a great trip.

Malcolm 

Same here from La Palma, which though northern hemisphere is far enough south to see Achernar and 𝜔 Cen. The stars, and the MW in particular, are easily bright enough to let me walk around the estate without any other lighting.

Although I have spent a couple of weeks in Oz at a conference where I took 15x80 binoculars with me, I am far from being an expert on the far southern sky. The two big globulars and both Nebuculae are well worth a look. The galactic centre, which is well placed from La Palma and further south though not from most of Europe is glorious. 𝛼 Cen is reputably an exceedingly good double but I've never seen it myself. It just about climbs above the horizon from El Roque but only because of the 2km altitude depresses the horizon and atmospheric refraction permits visibility below the theoretical horizon. I guess Proxima is worth tracking down if you have a small telescope or largish binoculars. Not impressive, other than its fame for being so close to us. You will need a decent finder chart because of its faintness.

I could also point you at some impressive galaxies, other than SMC and LMC, and other GCs but they probably don't meet your specs.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xilman said:

where I took 15x80 binoculars with me

That's a good idea. I wasn't going to bring binoculars but I think maybe I should! I'm going to have to sacrifice some clothes :)

Malcolm 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

The now defunct Argo Navis constellation should keep you occupied for hours. I have numerous observing reports on my site from the southern hemisphere which should give you loads of ideas. Argo report below.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2019/08/17/exploring-argo-navis-on-benguerra-island/

Great report. Sounds a wonderful set of targets and a visual feast :)

I think I'll print it out and use it as is for a session.

Malcolm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

That's a good idea. I wasn't going to bring binoculars but I think maybe I should! I'm going to have to sacrifice some clothes :)

Clothes are over-rated. As long as you have enough to be decent and a change of underwear, everything else can either be laundered or purchased on-site. One tip is to wear far too much clothing when boarding the aircraft (3 or 4 pairs of undies and a similar number of t-shirts, for instance) and then transfer them to your carry-on baggage when you are airborne.

My experience, and that of several friends, anyway.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xilman said:

Clothes are over-rated. As long as you have enough to be decent and a change of underwear, everything else can either be laundered or purchased on-site. One tip is to wear far too much clothing when boarding the aircraft (3 or 4 pairs of undies and a similar number of t-shirts, for instance) and then transfer them to your carry-on baggage when you are airborne.

My experience, and that of several friends, anyway.

I agree 😂 

After you fit the tripod and mount head in your checked luggage, and then I am bringing the Tak, eyepieces x4, prism diagonal and RDF, camera with ultra wide lens and normal lens and binoculars, there won’t be much room for clothes. 

I did forget to say, my next step is to re-read @DirkSteele’s observing reports which is my favourite part of the Alpha Lyrae website, and add to my observing list that way. It also occurred to me that many targets in Sagittarius and Scorpius will probably be well worth revisiting from that latitude.

Edited by Nicola Fletcher
I’m bringing more EPs than I originally admitted to 😊
  • Thanks 1

@DirkSteele  @Nicola Fletcher I'm thinking of 3 eyepieces: Tak Erfle 28mm 60°, Masuyama 10mm 85° and the Nagler zoom. If I skip on the 4th eyepiece, I'll have room for my hiking socks  :)

Does that sound reasonable?

I've quickly scanned all @DirkSteele's Southern Hemisphere observing reports and really don't think I need look any further. Fantastic reads! I think I may have done the same balloon flight as you in the Namib. Was Eric your pilot?

Malcolm 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

@DirkSteele  @Nicola Fletcher I'm thinking of 3 eyepieces: Tak Erfle 28mm 60°, Masuyama 10mm 85° and the Nagler zoom. If I skip on the 4th eyepiece, I'll have room for my hiking socks  :)

I've quickly scanned all @DirkSteele's Southern Hemisphere observing reports and really don't think I need look any further. Fantastic reads! I think I may have done the same balloon flight as you in the Namib. Was Eric your pilot?

Malcolm 

I think mine are similar enough. I’ll have a 24mm Panoptic, 13mm Nagler, 9mm Nagler and 3-6mm Nagler zoom. This is my normal kit except I don’t usually bring the 13mm. 
I would absolutely love to go to Namibia - maybe some year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Malcolm 

That sounds like a good mix of eyepieces. You want wide field for things like Eta Carinae nebula and for finding stuff, something mid range and then high power. With my Fc-76, I use the 24mm Panoptic, a 10mm like Delos or Radian and the Nagler zoom. That covers all you need.

I do not recall the pilot’s name. Have done that balloon flight twice. The second time was the day after proposing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Not really anything that others haven’t mentioned yet, but having had a great night’s observing in South Africa at the end of March last year, it helped me better prepare for my own trip to Northern Queensland in July. Here are some badly edited and short notes that follow a chronological sequence and logic of ‘try to catch to some good ones before they set first, some other good ones that rise just before the sun comes up, and everything else in between, in a sequence of when it makes most sense in terms of altitude’. I’ve included some northern favourites because I’ll be at a Bortle 1 site for 3 nights and would probably not have the opportunity again soon. I also want to see how some of the north/south favourites stack up in the same session. My plan is to rent an 8” dob for DSOs and I’m taking my 15x70 binos for widefield Milky Way viewing. I’ve used Sky Safari to help with my planning, though the plan still needs a lot of work. The gaps will largely be filled with dark nebula/Great Rift/MW viewing. I hope you find it helpful. 🙂

19:20:

C92 Carina Nebula / Gem Cluster

M51 / M101 

C80 Omega Centauri 

C77 Centaurus A

C74 Southern Ring Nebula

M65/66 Leo Triplet

M84/86 Markarian’s Chain (and scan)

M99/M100

M83

C100 Running Chicken

Crux / Coalsack Nebula / Jewel Box

Alpha Centauri

M13/C80 Shootout at 21:55

M16, M17, M8 (M20, 21), M7, C76, M24, IC4604 Rho Ophiouchi Nebula Round 1

M11, M22, M56

NGC 6302 Bug Nebula at 22:21

Saturn Nebula

Ring Nebula at 23:50

M16, M17, M8 (M20, 21), M7, M24, IC4604 Round 2

Veil Nebula at 1:20

North America Nebula at 1:20

M27 Dumbbell Nebula at 1:20

47 Tucanae at 4:30

M31, M33 if possible

Edited by dobbyisbest
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dobbyisbest said:

Not really anything that others haven’t mentioned yet, but having had a great night’s observing in South Africa at the end of March last year, it helped me better prepare for my own trip to Northern Queensland in July. Here are some badly edited and short notes that follow a chronological sequence and logic of ‘try to catch to some good ones before they set first, some other good ones that rise just before the sun comes up, and everything else in between, in a sequence of when it makes most sense in terms of altitude’. I’ve included some northern favourites because I’ll be at a Bortle 1 site for 3 nights and would probably not have the opportunity again soon. I also want to see how some of the north/south favourites stack up in the same session. My plan is to rent an 8” dob for DSOs and I’m taking my 15x70 binos for widefield Milky Way viewing. I’ve used Sky Safari to help with my planning, though the plan still needs a lot of work. The gaps will largely be filled with dark nebula/Great Rift/MW viewing. I hope you find it helpful. 🙂

19:20:

C92 Carina Nebula / Gem Cluster

M51 / M101 

C80 Omega Centauri 

C77 Centaurus A

C74 Southern Ring Nebula

M65/66 Leo Triplet

M84/86 Markarian’s Chain (and scan)

M99/M100

M83

C100 Running Chicken

Alpha Centauri

M13/C80 Shootout at 21:55

M16, M17, M8 (M20, 21), M7, C76, M24, IC4604 Rho Ophiouchi Nebula Round 1

M11, M22, M56

NGC 6302 Bug Nebula at 22:21

Saturn Nebula

Ring Nebula at 23:50

M16, M17, M8 (M20, 21), M7, M24, IC4604 Round 2

Veil Nebula at 1:20

North America Nebula at 1:20

M27 Dumbbell Nebula at 1:20

47 Tucanae at 4:30

M31, M33 if possible

Brilliant list and it’s a great idea to organise them by the times for best viewing. I am going to restrict my list to the showcase targets that I can’t see from the northern hemisphere. I don’t know how many clear nights under dark skies I’ll get so don’t want to get carried away with long lists. I’d also like to try to get some sketching done if I can.

May I ask where you can rent telescopes? That sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

May I ask where you can rent telescopes? That sounds like a great idea.

I emailed the scope shop in Cairns (there is only one) to ask if they’d consider renting one to me, and the owner kindly agreed to rent one of their public event scopes to me provided that it didn’t clash with their own events (and I’m sure it helped that I spoke to my experience with telescopes and interest in their dark southern skies upfront). I was looking in Brisbane as well, and there were a few shops that could potentially have helped, but my trip plan ended up being of the one-way variety. I’m sure the other big cities will be similar. I even looked at the Aussie AstroBuySell and FB Marketplace to see if there was a cheap deal that I could arrange for in advance, but fortunately the Cairns shop came to my rescue.

On 28/05/2024 at 21:56, Nicola Fletcher said:

I am using Stephen O’Meara’s Southern Gems book, as well as his very nice book, Night Skies of Botswana which gives a good overview of the southern sky for those not familiar with it.

This is a fantastic book and probably the only one that really covers to the southern hemisphere properly, when I last checked (and it made me regret not being interested in practical astronomy earlier in my life, as I’ve seen the Botswanan and Namibian wilderness skies with naked eyes, I just didn’t have the interest and tools at the time, and I think it must be amazing). The Astronomers Society (not Association) of South Africa also has some good resources and recommendations on their website, it’s just not as nicely edited and polished as it is in any respectable book format, of course. 🙂

Edited by dobbyisbest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dobbyisbest said:

@dobbyisbest  you are suggesting that these targets are early evening targets? I got very confused with locations, times and time zones, but I came to the conclusion Crux was an early evening target, so it's reassuring to have you confirm this!

Malcolm 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

you are suggesting that these targets are early evening targets?

Hi Malcolm. Yes, at my intended site’s latitude of about 40* South at around 8pm, Crux and surroundings sit at an altitude of 40 degrees and, critically, are on their way down. So earlier is better for me.

Here is a screenshot from Stellarium (free app):

IMG_8962.thumb.jpeg.3eb70a0b1cef91638c76eee42392785b.jpeg

Edited by dobbyisbest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1