Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaLyra 6" CC first impressions.

Super quick delivery from FLO as always 👍

It's a shock to find this is only £429. The build quality is very impressive and gives a solid (if slightly heavy) feel reminiscent of some of the old Russian scopes. Built like a tank as they say.

Here's the specs:

• Aperture: 153mm (6")
  • Focal ratio: f/12
  • Focal length: 1836mm
  • Primary mirror: Parabolic primary mirror; minimum 95% reflectivity
  • Secondary mirror: Minimum 95% reflectivity
  • Secondary mirror holder: 4-vane all metal spider
  • Secondary Mirror Obstruction: 58mm
  • Tube outside diameter: 193mm
  • Tube length = 437mm
  • Focuser: 2" dual-speed Crayford
  • Tube weight: 5.8kg

It comes supplied with three CNC extension tubes: a 50mm and two 25mm. I used the 50mm to reach focus on infinity with the LVW.
The silver locking ring can be loosened to rotate the focuser.
I note a couple of screws which could indicate you can fit a second finder shoe. 

It feels very comfy and solid on the EQ-5 with just one counterweight about 30mm in from the end.

D5H_1425.thumb.jpg.5916cb75736652d660736a1197313a9e.jpg

D5H_1430.thumb.jpg.1511b44e6eba7d298cf4fd552ef6edb2.jpg

The focuser looks and feels nice.

D5H_1431.thumb.jpg.3acaf37d58bb76c322635b1ab5cc1a51.jpg

At the back are six collimation screws. Three adjustment screws and three locking screws. The scope arrived perfectly collimated.

D5H_1426.thumb.jpg.b4cd386e3b7d08e3b8790b78d78753d2.jpg

Primary collimation is made easy by a centre doughnut on the secondary. Collimation is easily checked and adjusted with a laser or Cheshire.

D5H_1428.thumb.jpg.4416ff6e9f8d0e911e5531f89167dc99.jpg

The secondary collimation screws are also hex bolts - no fiddly screws here! 
One positive is the impressive baffle system.
One negative (or positive depending how you look at it) is the thick spider vanes. Sure the secondary isn't going to move, not even in an earth quake, but they are going to introduce diffraction spikes on bright stars.

D5H_1429.thumb.jpg.6376bf15a713b590a26fb278f489f0f6.jpg

The scope is very back heavy. Here's the dovetail position with the Baader diagonal and LVW eyepiece.

D5H_1432.thumb.jpg.ada14d7bf6d8b8d3d5a00fa805d3a92e.jpg

Altogether I'm really pleased with this. I can't wait to get it out under clear skies (whenever that may be).

• Like 19

Very nice Michael, I have the 8” version and very happy with it.

You are correct about the two grub screws, these can be used for a second or alternative finder position.

The only thing I am not totally happy with is the focuser. I am currently waiting on delivery of a Steeltrack for mine.

Just ordered another shoe and a Baader RDF - I have these on all my scopes.

I also have a used 60mm finder which has interchangeable eyepieces in the post. Mainly because this CC can't do wide field and I need to star hop to find things with aperture and magnification to overcome my LP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Just ordered another shoe and a Baader RDF - I have these on all my scopes.

I also have a used 60mm finder which has interchangeable eyepieces in the post. Mainly because this CC can't do wide field and I need to star hop to find things with aperture and magnification to overcome my LP.

I have just acquired a 60mm finder which takes 1.25” eyepieces for exactly the same reason. 👍

• Like 1

Managed a first light tonight. It's taken a while as the scope has been in the house all day so not cooled. Normally it would be stored in the shed.

Collimation needs a slight tweak but I've just been looking at Izar at x525... :ohmy: Lovely clean airy discs and no diffraction spikes. I think it's going to be a double star winner. Nice colour too - pale orange and blue. Very nice.

One niggle is the finder shoe. To get my 8x50 finder centred I've had to lift the finder up at the back with a bit of plastic, also loosen the shoe screws and twist it a bit. Hard work in the dark. I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow. 

• Like 7

Collimation is done. It only needed about a 2-3° turn of one of the bolts. As usual I turned it the wrong way to start - and the wrong bolt, so, made it worse 🤣
Like SCTs, collimation tools only get you near enough. The final tweaks have to be done with a star test. Collimation is a lot more 'tetchy' than a Newt, so, if you find Newts difficult then this scope isn't for you.

I can report a clean airy disc and partial concentric diffraction rings. So decent optics, but not outstanding like my FC-100 or the 12" Newt. At 6" there are few scopes to better it I imagine at close to the price. I could get those diffraction rings cleaner, but, £14330 for a TOA-150 (plus more for a mount) v £429 for this is not a sensible option!

• Like 6

Nice looking bit of kit.

On the surface this looks like a maksutov alternative.  Would like to know what led you down this route compared to a mak?

For months i was tearing my hair out,(if i had any🤣) trying to decided which scope to get the 8" stellalyra CC or the Skymax 180.

I love the look and build of the stellalyra CC. I wanted a scope for doubles, planets and lunar viewing and both stellalyra and the Skymax are great at that. Both scope have the pro's and con's but i ended up with the Skymax, which will complement my Starwave 152mm F5.9 V3 Red Tube refractor.

As Mr Spock mentioned about collimation put me off the 8" CC.

Anyway look forward to more reports about your 6"cc, seems a real nice scope.

From a warm room (not your normal approach I know) what would you say that the total cool down time was last night - until the scope was delivering clean images without signs of still having residual warm air in the tube ?

Asking for a friend 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

On the surface this looks like a maksutov alternative.  Would like to know what led you down this route compared to a mak?

Open tube so easier cooling. £200 less plus no need to add an after market focuser. No corrector plate so no dew issues.

4 minutes ago, seven_legs said:

As Mr Spock mentioned about collimation put me off the 8" CC.

Collimation is easier than you think. I used a laser to check the primary - it was spot on. Then used it for the secondary - it was only close and a bit faffy and uncertain. A star test soon put that right. Once the primary is sorted it's just like an SCT, you can get close indoors but they both need a star test to get collimation perfect. With three hex head bolts rather than screws adjustment is easy. With the C9.25 I had, I had to fit Bob's Knobs to facilitate easier collimation - this doesn't need them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John said:

From a warm room (not your normal approach I know) what would you say that the total cool down time was last night - until the scope was delivering clean images without signs of still having residual warm air in the tube ?

From 22° to 6.5°, it was an hour to get it usable then another 30 minutes till it was showing a perfect airy disc and diffraction ring. Much better than a Mak which would be at least 2-3 hours; even then with a Mak if the temperature is still dropping the scope may not reach equilibrium.

Once the collimation was sorted Izar was a lovely sight. I tried a couple of 0.8" doubles but it wasn't quite up to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ken from Orion Optics US has a great youtube video on the 8" and i think the 6" CC which is branded Orion but its Stellayra. I bet i watched the 8" video about 10 times.😄

18 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Collimation is easier than you think. I used a laser to check the primary - it was spot on. Then used it for the secondary - it was only close and a bit faffy and uncertain. A star test soon put that right. Once the primary is sorted it's just like an SCT, you can get close indoors but they both need a star test to get collimation perfect. With three hex head bolts rather than screws adjustment is easy. With the C9.25 I had, I had to fit Bob's Knobs to facilitate easier collimation - this doesn't need them.

You are alot more skill than i am, i think.

Watching videos, i get the impression the secondary looks rock solid.

Great report thank you. Interesting you said no diffraction spikes? I would have thought the slightly chunky secondary supports would have produced rather prominent ones?

The cool down time sounds very promising.

Linton

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lguise said:

Interesting you said no diffraction spikes? I would have thought the slightly chunky secondary supports would have produced rather prominent ones?

Yes, I was expecting them but didn't see any.

Mr Spock,

Thanks for your informative report on the CC6. Intressting. A couple of months ago I was not aware CC:s for amateurs excisted  -now I even own one, the 8" version.

Magnus A.

On 24/05/2024 at 09:37, Mr Spock said:

Tube length = 437mm

Does this include the focuser, extension tube, and diagonal?  If not, the overall length would seem not much different from my GSO 6" f/5 Newtonian.

On 24/05/2024 at 09:53, ST_Steve said:

The only thing I am not totally happy with is the focuser. I am currently waiting on delivery of a Steeltrack for mine.

What was it about the focuser that disappointed you?

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

Does this include the focuser, extension tube, and diagonal?  If not, the overall length would seem not much different from my GSO 6" f/5 Newtonian.

I measure the total length at 70cm inclusive.
My 100mm is 81cm and 120mm 114cm as a comparison.

I know that isn't aimed at me but I do find the focuser a little 'soft'. Not quite a positive action to it. Still good enough though. The whole scope is only £439 though, so I guess it's in keeping with the price point. 

I wouldn't mind the Baader myself, but, with adapter, it's £333. Not really in keeping with the scope's value!

• Thanks 1

Hi @Louis D it’s acceptable but @Mr Spock has summed up perfectly my own feelings about the focuser. As ever each individual will have their own personal opinion.

On 25/05/2024 at 10:43, Mr Spock said:

Yes, I was expecting them but didn't see any.

So no diffraction spikes even though the spider veins are thick. Was this with a polarising filter?

• Like 1

On 24/05/2024 at 15:53, ST_Steve said:

I might think about doing the same. The 'softness' is a bit frustrating at times.

23 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I might think about doing the same. The 'softness' is a bit frustrating at times.

My Steeltrack just arrived (see the postman thread) and just having taken it out of the box I already know it was absolutely the right decision.

• Like 2