NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Ha Full Disc

Roy Challen

Late morning, average seeing. Daystar Solarscout, Baader 32mm plossl. 

I've switched recently to using just graphite pencils rather than pastel colours. Easier to draw finer details. 

Loads going on today!

IMG_20240519_110538240.thumb.jpg.3d2e889ac3afd0e4a6f43030b6d523d3.jpg

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, SwiMatt said:

That's really great! Makes me wanna get an Ha telescope 🫠

Since I got the Daystar, it became my most used telescope by far. Over three years in, it still gives wow moments 😀

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

Since I got the Daystar, it became my most used telescope by far. Over three years in, it still gives wow moments 😀

Did you have the same passion with white light observing? I'm loving white light but I don't see it becoming my favorite type of observing, and I wonder if an Ha telescope is a completely different "game"...

6 minutes ago, SwiMatt said:

Did you have the same passion with white light observing? I'm loving white light but I don't see it becoming my favorite type of observing, and I wonder if an Ha telescope is a completely different "game"...

I have been observing in white light for many years, on and off. It is a completely different game, as generally, features in WL are largely static over an observing session, whereas in Ha, things can change very quickly.

I do have a hankering for some Baader solar film or a Herschel wedge, to use with my FS60, but I don't want to buy a wedge if it doesn't come to focus due to the very short focuser travel with the Tak.

The advantage of WL with the Tak over Ha with the Daystar is that higher mags are possible. I find that it's very rare that the Daystar can go over around x70 or so.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

As Roy says, they are completely different games, and alot depends on what kit you are using and the seeing conditions. With a good white light setup (well corrected 4” frac and a Herschel wedge), the views can be jaw dropping when conditions are right. The contrast and sharpness are amazing. It is generally static, but by watching carefully over 15 mins or so you can see changes in granulation patterns.

With Ha, it is less bright and lower contrast, but much more varied and dynamic. You can see proms changing over time, quite slowly but clearly happening. Occasionally you will see much faster moving features. On a couple of occasions I’ve seen plasma arcing down towards the surface, and watched little bombs of plasma (bright blobs) moving visibly from the top of the arc down to the surface. It doesn’t happen often but it’s amazing when it does.

Aperture counts for both, but seeing conditions are often limiting factor, so 100mm is often a sweet spot.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Great sketch Roy !

I've borrowed a Lunt 60 plus a 60mm double stack unit for a while so it has been interesting to compare the white light views that my 4 inch frac gives with that. 

One thing that stands out to me is that H-a observing takes a lot more care and practice to discern the detail that the instrument is showing, at least when you are getting used to it. White light is much more (to me) grab and go and probably easier for outreach as well because what is there is more accessible to novice observers during the quick glimpses that outreach events generally comprise of.

Mind you, it's amazing that H-a scopes of the quality of things like the Lunt 60 are even available to the amateur 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

I have been observing in white light for many years, on and off. It is a completely different game, as generally, features in WL are largely static over an observing session, whereas in Ha, things can change very quickly.

I do have a hankering for some Baader solar film or a Herschel wedge, to use with my FS60, but I don't want to buy a wedge if it doesn't come to focus due to the very short focuser travel with the Tak.

The advantage of WL with the Tak over Ha with the Daystar is that higher mags are possible. I find that it's very rare that the Daystar can go over around x70 or so.

Agree with this. I underestimated what I would see in Ha, it’s been a game changer for me and solar viewing. Viewing the recent solar activity has been fascinating. I only use a small 40mm PST but find both proms and surface detail easy to observe. Seeing proms slowly lift off the solar limb, arcing plasma streams or a bright flare occurrences is so rewarding. 

Don’t get me wrong, WL observing is great but I feel it lacks the dynamism of Ha viewing. 

• Like 2