NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Magnificent Aurora!!

Posted (edited)

It was 2am when the clouds broke, I looked outside in my back garden and was floored by the display!. My wife was sleeping but I excitedly woke her and she crawled outside to her astonishment the light show was peaking. Just at the end of my street there is a park, I ran there and stayed till 4am laying on the soaked grass composing images with trees. What a stunning experience it was!.

IMG_5221.jpeg

IMG_5225.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg

IMG_5284.jpeg

IMG_5286.jpeg

IMG_5300.jpeg

IMG_5304.jpeg

IMG_5277.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

These images capture the feeling of looking straight up during the auroral display very well. Almost like the sky is splitting in half, i wonder if that's just an illusion in the sense that when looking straight up there is the least amount of atmosphere in the way and so it looks like there are holes in the sky.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

These images capture the feeling of looking straight up during the auroral display very well. Almost like the sky is splitting in half, i wonder if that's just an illusion in the sense that when looking straight up there is the least amount of atmosphere in the way and so it looks like there are holes in the sky.

Good point, perhaps this is true!

3 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

~

Your location relative to the center of the north magnetic field, I think, is producing this effect for you and Sunshine. Energy from the Sun's flare is channeled down those field lines, concentrated on the center. Would love to experience it for myself, sometime.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

Your location relative to the center of the north magnetic field, I think, is producing this effect for you and Sunshine. Energy from the Sun's flare is channeled down those field lines, concentrated on the center. Would love to experience it for myself, sometime.

Interesting, what struck me most about the display I witnessed was it’s rippling and pulsing quality. Having seen countless Aurora videos online I was expecting very slow movement, if any. What I saw was pulsing almost like one would see from distant lightning on the horizon, ripples would slowly appear then pulse in brightness while indulating. It was far more quick and animated than I expected.

• Like 1

Since the aurora is an energy driven event, the 'fast and furious' flares produce lively displays. I also suspect the colours to be dependent of the excitation level of the particles , lots of reds and mauve and pink appeared as opposed to the more traditional green-blue hues. Of course, this are educated guesses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bivanus said:

Since the aurora is an energy driven event, the 'fast and furious' flares produce lively displays. I also suspect the colours to be dependent of the excitation level of the particles , lots of reds and mauve and pink appeared as opposed to the more traditional green-blue hues. Of course, this are educated guesses.

May be an image of text that says "Excited atomic oxygen at high altitudes Only visible under intense intee solar activity duc low concentration of oxygen at highaltitudes high Above 150 miles or 241.4 km Excited atomic oxygen at lower altitudes Green ligh is emitted instead red due to higher concentration ofoxygen of Upto to 150 150milesor miles or 241.4km km NN N lonized molecular nitrogen The reaction involve molecular nirogen because atomic oxygen suncommon low altitudes. Similar to red, blue and purple is associated with intense solar activity. Above 60 miles 60milesor or 96.6 km Upto Up to 60 miles or 96.6 km"

• Like 4