NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A couple of extras to think on, a dew shield should be first on your list and a moon filter, it's surprising just how bright the moon is. Eyepieces are a very personal thing so have a good read on what people use. Personally I like baader stuff and my goto is the zoom. Might add that baader eyepieces have a screw thread at the eyepiece to enable the direct connection of cameras. I rarely use a barlow. All the best.

Just now, M40 said:

A couple of extras to think on, a dew shield should be first on your list and a moon filter, it's surprising just how bright the moon is. Eyepieces are a very personal thing so have a good read on what people use. Personally I like baader stuff and my goto is the zoom. Might add that baader eyepieces have a screw thread at the eyepiece to enable the direct connection of cameras. I rarely use a barlow. All the best.

i bought a moon filter a 40mm, 20mm and 9mm Eyepiece

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

start using your telescope now that you have it, that is a great way to learn more is in the use

what do you mean? is that not just normal to use it now i have it

Posted (edited)

I think a dew shield is almost essential with an SCT. Other than that, you have a good setup now so can enjoy developing your experience by using it as often as you can 🙂

Edited by John

You can make dew shields yourself as a stop gap, or if you are cheap like me, a permanent solution.  I've used craft foam and think laminate underlay I had leftover.

Is it a moon filter or a moon and sky glow filter?  I think people might be referring to a variable polarising filter.

For me I'd suggest not expending too much money on stuff now, maybe get a good book for navigating and with targets to look at (I use turn left at Orion).

As you use the scope you'll find plenty of opportunity to spend money.

Ooh.  Get a clothes peg.  Like an old style wooden one with a spring.  You can use it as a fine focus adjustment on the focuser.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Raulvdzande said:

what do you mean? is that not just normal to use it now i have it

Learn through experience, no amount of reading makes up for hands on time. You'll get to realise what kind of objects you like observing too.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

The walls of the SCT OTA cool much faster than the air inside, this causes turbulence which affects the views.

To overcome this you can put it outside for an hour or so to allow it to cool down.

Or you can put two layers of Reflectix insulation material around the OTA.

This will have two benefits…

The scope will be useable straight away.

It will take much longer for dew to form on the corrector.

You have a nice scope 👍

Posted (edited)

Also, I would advise against using AA batteries to power the scope, I tried it and star alignment was not good, I found a decent power tank is much more reliable.

Edited by dweller25

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

You can make dew shields yourself as a stop gap, or if you are cheap like me, a permanent solution.  I've used craft foam and think laminate underlay I had leftover.

Is it a moon filter or a moon and sky glow filter?  I think people might be referring to a variable polarising filter.

For me I'd suggest not expending too much money on stuff now, maybe get a good book for navigating and with targets to look at (I use turn left at Orion).

As you use the scope you'll find plenty of opportunity to spend money.

Ooh.  Get a clothes peg.  Like an old style wooden one with a spring.  You can use it as a fine focus adjustment on the focuser.

i already have a shield

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elp said:

Learn through experience, no amount of reading makes up for hands on time. You'll get to realise what kind of objects you like observing too.

that's true

15 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Also, I would advise against using AA batteries to power the scope, I tried it and star alignment was not good, I found a decent power tank is much more reliable.

no, I have to plug it in if I want it to work

Download planetarium software and learn how to use to it to know what is up at night, when, and its position in the sky.  I use Stellarium on my desktop (I know, I'm old school to still have a desktop).

• Like 1