Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I need help choosing a telescope

41 minutes ago, malc-c said:

From this and subsequent posts I don't think we should really be stating individual scopes.  There is no "one scope suits all".  For planets you need long focal lengths to get the magnification, but then with higher magnification the resolution becomes an issue so you then need a large aperture scope with a long focal length.  A lot of the really clear, fantastically detailed images of Jupiter with its large moons, or Saturn with is banded rings that are seen on forums and in books have been taken with something like a 12-14" SCT, which will have upwards of 2m - 2.5m (or more) focal length, and would take up all (or more) of your budget just for the OTA alone.  So there is already a compromise needed... a 6" or 8" MAK or SCT will still give decent magnification, and have reasonable contrast and resolution to a degree.   These scopes are also good for star clusters, but if you then want to see or image fainter objects then a long focal length scope isn't ideal.  Yes you can get focal length reducers, but in the same way as a barlow lens will double or treble the focal length of a short focal length telescope, adding lenses between the eye or camera sensor and the photons coming into form the distant object degrades the result a little.  This is why a lot of people either put up with the shortcomings when using accessories to change the focal length, or simply have one scope for planets and the moon, and then another for nebula's and galaxies, with a decent mount that can carry the weight of either (or both at the same time, but again, a mount that can take that weight is more than the budget is now).  

To try and give you some idea... I have a 200mm  aperture, 1000mm focal length reflector telescope.  This is an image taken in 2011 when Jupiter was close to the Earth in their orbits.  It's taken with a basic 640 x 480 webcam (nothing spectacular) but I used two 2x barlow lenses to get an equivalent 4000mm focal length.  I was quite pleased with the results at the time... but whilst you can make out some detail in the bands, a lot of finer detail is lost, and due to the glass of the barlow lenses it has a blue edge to the image.

Jupiter19_11_2011.png.42de556e64ed7c8d73a3e529d74ad63a.png

Now have a look through the planetary section of the forum for images taken with 12" or 14" SCT scopes and you'll see the difference.  Here is an example I've found of an image taken through a C14  with a decent planetary camera,  

spacer.png

Notice the difference.   It's also down to your expectations.  If you are happy to get similar images of Jupiter to mine then sure a £300  reflector would do the job, but if you are already accepting that there will be a time where you will upgrade the equipment, then that is false economy.  If you are really serious and looking at a long term investment then increase the budget and look at getting something that will more than adequately cover you beginning steps, but also be able to provide you with the results you want to eventually end up getting.

For me I'm happy with the results my rig gives me, even though I'm in a town and so my skys are  probably a lot, lot more light polluted than yours are.  This is an image taken with a old Canon DSLR attached to the SW Explorer 200P, which I am more than happy with...

PortraitofAlnitak.png.3488390e57739be2d82301cde866fe61.png

If this is the sort of thing you are aiming to achieve then you should be able to get a mount such as an HEQ5 / EQ6 / AZ-EQ6 and a 200mm f5 scope for deep sky, with a  100mm f9 refractor for planetary.  But if you think you will outgrow this level quickly then keep saving or increase the budget and step up to the next level.

Its always difficult to advise people what to look for as we all have different expectations.  I know of two people who have had pictures published in national and international astronomy magazines.  One has a 250mm Ritchey-Chretien telescope plus flattener; ZWO ASI 071MC camera all sitting on a Skywatcher EQ8 mount, the other has an Orion Optics ODK12, which sits on one of two EQ8 mounts in his observatory.  One of these guys started off with equipment like mine, but often wish that seeing where they are now had just gone for the mounts they currently own rather than having to constantly upgrade, and often losing out financially when selling the  equipment second hand.

Anyway, I've waffled on far too much, and probably taken this thread slightly off topic so I'll leave it at that.  

i mean just out moon and detailed

A 200mm dob, a setting circle , an angle gauge, a good app,  a little practice along with 2 or 3 starguider eyepieces you will find most stuff and have fun.  Enjoy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, apaulo said:

A 200mm dob, a setting circle , an angle gauge, a good app,  a little practice along with 2 or 3 starguider eyepieces you will find most stuff and have fun.  Enjoy.

but i mean with detailed i mean really detailed and some stars and i want something that good for that and what me what telescope is the best one to buy

The larger the aperture the heavier the telescope and if it's awkward to get outside you may be less inclined of it's patchy clear sky. Leaving some budget to grow into taking images of the Moon could show you more. Some astro cameras also have a mobile phone app to take videos through a telescope which can be something to do with Moon and planets. You've already expressed an interest to have goto so could build on what sort of telescope with it.

I think you would be best advised to look through some telescopes before you buy anything, if possible join your nearest astro club.  This hobby is a learning curve that begins the first time you look up, and has no ending to it. All good fun . 

• Like 1

i know but i want to start with a telescope where i can look to the moon very detailed just tell me what telescope with everything else is good for that for 1200 euros

13 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

You've had three pages of help, son.  I personally think that's quite enough and my suggestion is to read around the forum a bit more first.

Yeah... I also get the feeling we are being trolled 

It's not great when you spend best part of an hour compiling a detailed post, explaining things only to get a single line response which contradicts what was mentioned in their previous posts.

To the OP - we've given you lots of advice, now its down to you to do your own homework...  

I might even suggest the Mods lock this thread as we're going nowhere other than around in circles 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Raulvdzande said:

i know but i want to start with a telescope where i can look to the moon very detailed just tell me what telescope with everything else is good for that for 1200 euros

Maybe contact your nearest retailer and go and look at some scopes and ask the salesman... you are not reading or taking on board the information I and others have provided

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raulvdzande said:

okay so can someone else help me?

Ultimately the choice of telescope will be down to you. Ask a number of number of people "which telescope should I get ?" and you will get many answers, each one as valid as the last/next. Only you can decide for yourself which is the best telescope for you. Visit a local retailer or astronomical society and test various types of telescope. Some are easier to use than others (position of eyepiece, collimation etc) but only you can decide on the right one. 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 15:45, Tiny Clanger said:

There are no simple answers to your question, if there were, there would only be one telescope available in that price bracket.

The OP has received good advice so is able to progress and then choose a telescope. With this in mind and to avoid repetition we have closed the discussion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Steve locked this topic