NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mini PC recommendations Please ??

48 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

That is an amazing setup. 

For my more basic setup, I just need something that can handle 3 data usb and three power usb.

Maybe just two power usb if I replace my dslr with an uncooled osc.

Are yours mounted on their scopes and if so how and how heavy are they?

I use a Beelink u59 which is 12 volt. I power it through a Pegasusastro Powerbox Advance which has 5 power and 4 usb. Mini pc doesn't have power sockets unless you go really expensive! Ie Stellarmate or PrimaluceLab. The usb is powered. I use mono ccd cameras with filter wheel, OAG, Focuscube and Mount. Though I use a double 12 volt socket adapter so the mount can be plugged into a mains extension lead via a Coleman fridge mains to 12 volt adapter along with the PPBA. I use the PPBA usb sockets first and anything remaining into the MINIPC usb.

The Beelink is attached to the PPBA using a Pegasusastro plate, the PPBA has its own brackets which I attach to the top of the tube rings as I have a small scope. The whole lot can be lifted off quickly if needed. I hope that helps. 

Incidentally, I also use a OSC 533 with duoband filters and uv/ir cut filters. They're also in a filterwheel, it keeps dust at bay. You will need usb and possibly 12 volt if you go that way!

Anne

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vic L S said:

Sorry to jump on this post with a question, but how does a mini PC work? Do you have to attach it to a seperate screen? Or can it run wirelessly and you can work remotely? 

I'd like to start using NINA but need the portability of the ASIair, so have never considered it as don't want to be tied to a laptop. 

I just use chrome remote desktop. Free and seems great

43 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

I use NINA with the dual set-up. Running 2 instances the extra ram and multi cores should help. I was having a problem with downloads as one camera seemed to be being delayed while the first camera downloaded. See what happens once I get everything loaded and switch off the updates etc...

If you still get choking like problem, try different and/or shorter usb cables

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fwm891 said:

The Beelink and Remote Desktop sound a good option and I can use the current laptop for that task. I’ve always been dubious about electronics and *bay but will take a look…

I have a Mele Overclock 3c for sale in the classifieds….👍🏻

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anne S said:

I use a Beelink u59 which is 12 volt. I power it through a Pegasusastro Powerbox Advance which has 5 power and 4 usb. Mini pc doesn't have power sockets unless you go really expensive! Ie Stellarmate or PrimaluceLab. The usb is powered. I use mono ccd cameras with filter wheel, OAG, Focuscube and Mount. Though I use a double 12 volt socket adapter so the mount can be plugged into a mains extension lead via a Coleman fridge mains to 12 volt adapter along with the PPBA. I use the PPBA usb sockets first and anything remaining into the MINIPC usb.

The Beelink is attached to the PPBA using a Pegasusastro plate, the PPBA has its own brackets which I attach to the top of the tube rings as I have a small scope. The whole lot can be lifted off quickly if needed. I hope that helps. 

Incidentally, I also use a OSC 533 with duoband filters and uv/ir cut filters. They're also in a filterwheel, it keeps dust at bay. You will need usb and possibly 12 volt if you go that way!

Anne

Those Pegasus power boxes look great but cost more than the mini pc I'd like to get :(

I think I'll have to stick with hottible wiring until I can get a power box and mini pc

16 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I just use chrome remote desktop. Free and seems great

Tech whizz! I never would've thought of that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Vic L S said:

Tech whizz! I never would've thought of that. 

I also have it on my phone, so if i want to pop to the shops i can check nina while i queue to pay :)

• Like 1

On 01/05/2024 at 16:07, Vic L S said:

Sorry to jump on this post with a question, but how does a mini PC work? Do you have to attach it to a seperate screen? Or can it run wirelessly and you can work remotely? 

I'd like to start using NINA but need the portability of the ASIair, so have never considered it as don't want to be tied to a laptop. 

You use remote desktop connect to it over your home network (WiFi, wired - whatever works for you).  The mini PC is on the telescope mount outside and I am inside in the warmth using a different computer.

• Like 1

With the right mini pc you get enough ports for the smaller accessories and just leave the heavyweights to have their own power wiring. Especially if the camera is itself a hub. So no excuse for horrible wiring!