Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar Alignment Tool...Incredible!!

Hi all. I just wanted to tell any folk who don't know, if you want stress free easy and incredibly accurate Polar Alignment, then I cannot recommend highly enough the IOptron IPolar. I tried it for first time last night and I was amazed at how silly easy it was to use and the results were literally perfect! The software you download to Laptop to use the IPolar is silly simple to understand, it's everything you need, and literally nothing else, no frills, no fancy super complicated settings etc etc. My tracking has never been as good, not even close! Plus I didn't have to be on my knees breaking my neck looking through my mounts polar scope, struggling to get it as perfect as possible! SERIOUSEY worth the money!

( Remember to check compatibility with your mount/gear. Also, It requires a Laptop or other computer device to run it's software )

th?id=OIP.r9YZUepKrPLFGJltPmsuJQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=180th?id=OIP.u-HetNxIpmjuk5nN0avfBwHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&h=180th?id=OIP.4tiVgF7vSXUmTc2_3iEA9AHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&h=180image.thumb.jpeg.8437670ee1a65ca3b5937ebe492875c5.jpeg

Edited by wesdon1
added extra pic
  • Like 3

Exactly my experience with a PoleMaster.

I found the QHY camera is also recognised by SharpCap so you can use that as confirmation if you feel so inclined - but I would advise against it - and don't be tempted to triple check with an ASIair either! 🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Exactly my experience with a PoleMaster.

I found the QHY camera is also recognised by SharpCap so you can use that as confirmation if you feel so inclined - but I would advise against it - and don't be tempted to triple check with an ASIair either! 🤣

@Adreneline LOL. I actually feel a bit dumb here because I have no idea about triple checking with ASI Air? I actually only bought my Air about a week ago so have no experience using it yet! LOL. I did do some indoor shots using my new Air connected to my DSLR, just to learn it functions etc but then was stopped dead in my tracks when I realised I need a FTDI EQMOD cable to get my HEQ5 Pro mount and Air to talk to each other! LOL

Edited by wesdon1
  • Like 1

Asiair can use either your main camera or guide camera for PA. It's pretty accurate, and doesn't require the camera and scope to be exactly aligned with the NCP.

The all sky alignment feature on asiair was a game changer for me, when my location didn't have a clear view of polaris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Asiair can use either your main camera or guide camera for PA. It's pretty accurate, and doesn't require the camera and scope to be exactly aligned with the NCP.

The all sky alignment feature on asiair was a game changer for me, when my location didn't have a clear view of polaris

@900SL Wow I didn't know this so thank you for telling me. I was blown away with the IOpton IPolar, just easy to use and super accurate. Now I know there also the features and functions of my new Air also, I'm really excited to try them out during my next night!

If I decide to switch over from my ASIAir Plus for Astro imaging (to use non ZWO gear) I'd still keep an ASIAir for PA (I have an ASIAir Pro in my unused gear collection).🙃 I was one of the first UK users of the Polemaster and dabbled with the Python PhotoPolarAlignment (PPA) program first introduced by an SGL member @themos which was later adopted & adapted into SharpCap. Back then on another now defunct forum I did mention to Robin (SharpCap author) that t would be nice to have a PA tool like PPA in SharpCap but with the capture repeating automatically.  I believe he was already considering it but I'd then got the Polemaster before his PA routine was made available.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

but with the capture repeating automatically

This is the really cool feature - updating almost in realtime.

It was curiosity that led me to complete a PM alignment and then check it with SharpCap using the PM camera - confidently expecting it would spot on! Oh well - too much to hope for. I also then went on to check with the ASIair and I didn't score 10/10 for that either! Lesson learnt - stop fretting and get on imaging - I am a PoleMaster devotee.

Good to know!  Not quite to thakt level, yet.  I migrated from "eye-balling it" to getting a Celestron polar axis finder. and ZWO ASI camera. Because I was setting up for the first time I thought I would go ahead and fine-tune it.  A word to the wise -- probably not a bad idea.  The polar finders are supposed to be fairly accurate out of the box but mine was probably as far off as it could be.  Two set screws (grub screws) were nearly all the way out, and the third was in so deep that it wouldn't budge.  I have micro tools so tools weren't an issue.  I suggest that when you buy something that has set screws in a ring, look to see if they are all about equal.  They should be.  If not, return it for having a defect or attempt to fix it at your risk.  I happen to have micro screws so I will be able to deal with it.  But I'm not happy.   Cheers and clear skies ( good luck in the UK)!