NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aurora show from North Cornwall 16-4-24

On Tuesday 16th April I went l Aurora hunting. Just before 11pm I was going to pack up my dslr after only getting mainly pink diffuse aurora. Then upon checking all the Aurora apps and page on crapbook I saw that there was to be a huge surge in activity. Then from 11pm to 12pm a huge show evolved with a pillar just visible with averted vision. 

I was freezing by the end of the session but well rewarded. At least I brought my stool and remembered my dew strap this time. 

Heres one of the better images of the main show. 

Taken with Canon 600D and Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens on a static tripod. 

Sky 8 secs at 800iso f2.8 (should of gone higher on the iso but didn't want moon to wash the sky out, sadly I got it wrong) 

Foreground 30 secs 1600iso F4 with long exposure noise reduction. 

Blended and tweaked in photoshop. 

Worth a click and turn on the image and timelapse. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Aurora-16-4-24-Still_edit_535941536092178.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 24

Good job Lee, nice capture.

I kept trying to capture it from our way last night and didn’t catch a glimpse of it. I stopped trying by 11, so looks like I should have carried on.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Good job Lee, nice capture.

I kept trying to capture it from our way last night and didn’t catch a glimpse of it. I stopped trying by 11, so looks like I should have carried on.

Thank you 😊. Hopefully next time you'll get the Aurora. I would of stopped by 11pm if I didn't see the alert on Auroa hunters uk on crapbook. Maybe a couple more opportunities before darkness ends soon. Good luck and clear skies. 

8 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Absolute legend, Lee - that’s fantastic!! Really well done. Great image and Timelapse. So chuffed for you. 👏👏👏

Thank you Paul you're far to kind 😊though I wouldn't go as far as legend haha (maybe next time I'll remember to put the iso up 🙄) but I'm slowly learning and get a lot more joy from Widefield imaging and the inspiration you provide me. Also I now use the long exposure noise reduction on the foreground images as you describe in your journals and much easier, thank you. I'm looking forward to your next one. 

Clear skies and hope you're all well.  

Lee 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Sky 8 secs at 800iso f2.8 (should of gone higher on the iso but didn't want moon to wash the sky out, sadly I got it wrong) 

Foreground 30 secs 1600iso F4 with long exposure noise reduction. 

Great results Lee and well worth sticking it out after 11pm.  The timelapse is fantastic.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, geeklee said:

Great results Lee and well worth sticking it out after 11pm.  The timelapse is fantastic.

2 minutes ago, davew said:

Loved the timelapse Lee. Nice twinkly stars and good exposure timing. Just the right speed for those clouds,

Dave.

Thank you guys, I'm blown away by your kind comments. I'm just so pleased you both enjoyed it. I do enjoy Widefield astrophotography with the simplicity of a camera, lens and tripod. 

Clear skies 

Lee 

• Like 2

Nice capture Lee with a lovely smooth timelapse - clouds flow nicely.  It's always a bit of a guess in getting exposures right for the occasion as too many variables to play with!!

Geraint.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gerr said:

Nice capture Lee with a lovely smooth timelapse - clouds flow nicely.  It's always a bit of a guess in getting exposures right for the occasion as too many variables to play with!!

Geraint.

Thank you Geraint, that's lovely of you to say. It was a bit of guess work your right. Just great to get some aurora this far south. 

Clear skies 

Lee 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Well done Lee. I missed this as I was dealing with some unexpected smoke, and then found my camera battery was almost dead. But I did get some decent images last night.

Thank you. That is a real shame about the smoke and flat battery. I'll be looking forward to seeing your images. 

Clear skies 

Lee