Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY EAF

astrolix

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to make a replica of the original EAF from ZWO. My goal is to recreate the protocol to create a diy eaf that would work on an asiair.

It you be helpful if you have some advises on how to do that. I've started to disassemble the ZWO EAF SDK compiled file. But I suck at finding more information on the device and his protocol. I've just guessed that the EAF uses XML strings to communicate and HID, but that's all…

Any ideas ? Softs recommended (to analyze the SDK) ?

I've seen that @powerlord has succeeded this with the EFW from ZWO, maybe he can help me by sharing me his tips ?

Thank you per advice,

astrolix

If you are convinced it's XML what's the odds that it is indi ? And that's well documented ..

It would be quick to knock up a test. 

Edited by skybadger
Expanded

I've already done that, but the asiair simply uses the EAF SDK compiled file, that's why you can't connect another focuser like a MyFocuserPro2 one or Moonlite one.

On 16/04/2024 at 19:02, astrolix said:

I've already done that, but the asiair simply uses the EAF SDK compiled file, that's why you can't connect another focuser like a MyFocuserPro2 one or Moonlite one.

So the ASIAIR doesn't accept any other focusers than ZWO's own?

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

So the ASIAIR doesn't accept any other focusers than ZWO's own?

Correct. They do however work with a limited range of DSLR cameras and non ZWO mounts, ASCOM enabled mounts. But the focuser is locked to ZWO's brand. It's an excellent bit of kit in that it works really well but it it a shame that it restricts what equipment it can talk to. 

Jim 

Imagine, how cheap is the ASIAir if you think about it's simplicity and functionality. It would cost like a StellarMate new product, but it doesn't, just because you have to buy their more expensive stuff. I think it's quite fair. Also, they tie you with their brand. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vroobel said:

Imagine, how cheap is the ASIAir if you think about it's simplicity and functionality. It would cost like a StellarMate new product, but it doesn't, just because you have to buy their more expensive stuff. I think it's quite fair. Also, they tie you with their brand. 

For the price point I can live with it although it would be nice to have some flexibility on main cameras. 

Jim 

On 15/04/2024 at 20:51, astrolix said:

My goal is to recreate the protocol to create a diy eaf that would work on an asiair.

If you do manage to achieve this I suggest keeping it to yourself. Robert Brown has had many requests to provide ASIAIR compatibility for myFocuserPro, but has not done so because he says he'd have ZWO lawyers on the phone... 

• Like 1

I was looking at stepper motors for use in a focuser over the weekend.  Found something very similar to the motor in an asiair, however it is unipolar rather than bipolar.  Was going to order one to see if the motor can be modded to make it bipolar.  Theoretically possible, but potentially not worth the hassle.  Would help keep the weight down though as the 120 reduction means you get more oomph from a smaller motor.

3 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I was looking at stepper motors for use in a focuser over the weekend.  Found something very similar to the motor in an asiair, however it is unipolar rather than bipolar.  Was going to order one to see if the motor can be modded to make it bipolar.  Theoretically possible, but potentially not worth the hassle.  Would help keep the weight down though as the 120 reduction means you get more oomph from a smaller motor.

What motor in an ASIAIR?

On 21/04/2024 at 22:47, adyj1 said:

If you do manage to achieve this I suggest keeping it to yourself. Robert Brown has had many requests to provide ASIAIR compatibility for myFocuserPro, but has not done so because he says he'd have ZWO lawyers on the phone... 

That's a cheek - the Asiair is reputedly full of uncredited open-source code!

• Like 1