Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASG Electronically Assisted Tilt EAT

I'm really interested what the actuators are, linear servos ?

Also how the stack is clamped once adjusted or is it sufficiently stiff once adjusted it doesn't need clamping ?

Finally, this is normally a 'once and done 'operation, what's the argument for making it easy to repeat but expensive and heavy?

Edited by skybadger
Spelling

2 hours ago, skybadger said:

Finally, this is normally a 'once and done 'operation, what's the argument for making it easy to repeat but expensive and heavy?

I think your last point is really pertinent. It's a clever solution nonetheless but I wonder how necessary to the average astrophotographer. 

Jim 

2 hours ago, skybadger said:

One scenario I see is when you send your gear out to a remote hosting location and wish to switch between a reducer and a flattener. This often happens during galaxy season. A tech on site can usually switch adapters for you, but adjusting tilt perfectly is slow, tedious and typically not something they will do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peds said:

One scenario I see is when you send your gear out to a remote hosting location and wish to switch between a reducer and a flattener. This often happens during galaxy season. A tech on site can usually switch adapters for you, but adjusting tilt perfectly is slow, tedious and typically not something they will do.

This is exactly my thought - not necessarily because the team will not do it but, because this - along with the PA - are the 2 tasks that you cannot manage remotely on your own.

Also, it might be a helpful feature for RASA owners but, again I never owned one so, I am just speculating based on posts that I have read.

• Like 1

Tilt adjustment is a chore but is it $695 worth of a chore?

It may not be for the purists, but I’m happy with fixing it in processing if it’s not too bad.

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea. I don't know how many hours I have spent indoors/outdoors trying various tilt adapters trying to gey round stars in the corners. Would it not have been better to have 3 points of adjustment though? Must be difficult to get 4 to all contact relative to each other.