Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello, we have a IMG_5388.thumb.jpeg.a43338dd421bf86c14dea22dc5c9b202.jpegIMG_4882.thumb.jpeg.dab632a3366bb2fe23c6b0642dc0e8e0.jpegIMG_4884.thumb.jpeg.ecf0435c2bf97848c4b28a65f2c86962.jpegLeviathan Observation Binoculars by Monk Optics 25x100 . It’s had an accident and broken part of its mounting plate and am wondering if this can be replaced/ repaired?

Thank you

That looks like an aluminium casting which has broken, if it's high grade aluminium it "may" be possible to have it Tig welded. I wouldn't trust any repair involving glue or resin type products as the contact areas look quite small. The best repair would be to source a replacement part and swap out but I can understand that may be almost impossible. It's a shame as looks like a really nice tripod/mount 

Very difficult to assess a repair potential without having the tripod to hand.  High grade aluminium doesn't usually snap like that so it's probably the usual "pot" metal casting.

With the two damaged components, it may be easy to see if it could be adapted to an alternative mount. Could you add a picture of the binoculars with the mount attachment removed?

I think a DIY fix might be possible. (Low tech, low cost.)

bust.JPG.84a05439e0a87224e64d8fb17bdd2529.JPG

1) Remove the three bolts marked 1 and discard the broken triangular casting (2) they hold in place.

2) Cut out a triangular piece of good thick marine plywood to replace it. This could be the same size as the original or a little larger. Larger would give you more room and convenience for the last stage.

3) Cut six short sections from a square section hardwood baton of a size large enough to let them be drilled to accept the circular pins on the tripod legs as an interference fit. Screw (from above) and glue these to the triangular ply so as to make bushings to hold the legs to the triangular plate. (Obviously you'd attach these to the triangle with the legs in place and everything squeezed up tight.)

4) Bolt this assembly to the pier top in place of the broken casting.

This method would require no metalworking tools or welding. I don't know how the original system braced the legs but you could brace them using a triangular accessory tray part way down the tripod legs. Excuse the sketch quality! :grin:

FIX.thumb.jpg.78c91bb8bf808bd6d9d68cbc613395e7.jpg

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
False click
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3D perhaps  ?

What a crying shame though , the wooden legs are very nice and have the extensions which are concaved to match the uppers circumference/diameter.

The upper mount is broken as well.

Edited by Naughty Neal

Reminds me a lot of Manfrotto photo gear.  For some reason, they use castings than can crack apart under stress.  They would be much stronger if they were machined from solid billets of metal.

• 4 weeks later...

If I have it right, the binoculars clamp into this bit?

Screenshot_20240429_100525_Chrome3.thumb.jpg.de628d8da3b08b76427a65f1514d501d.jpg

If so, there hopefully is the way forward. Remove that top clamp from the tripod base and then it would be a case of finding a tripod that the clamp can be fitted to. This is where a few more bits of info would help us, like budget, type of tripod you are looking for etc. I know I am happy drilling a few holes in metal, is that something you could take on? All the best.