NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet 12P/Pons-Brooks, 24.03.24

josefk

I don't get a clear view to the West/North-West for my usual 'on-foot' grab 'n' go location and because February and March haven't really supported anything other than GnG i had begun to fret i would miss Comet Pons-Brooks.

I'm over the moon i was able to bag it last night in a second session for the weekend. What 2 clear nights in 3 days? What luxury, i can even tolerate the moon being "switched on".

These observations and sketches span 45-mins or so between 19:45 and 20:30. The highest magnification view was in large part thanks to being under a blanket at the eyepiece for ~30-mins 20:00 till 20:30.

First up, an 8mm eyepiece for x125 and an exit pupil of ~1mm. This is my first viewing at 19:45. I had just come from a naked eye Mercury (a telescopic Mercury was showing clear phase but loads of red and blue atmospheric dispersion). It was still 'only' late twilight.

IMG_5040.jpeg.3d633473a0c0bb4a9d507170f4811307.jpeg

There was a hint of the sky being lighter to the North above the comet but it wasn't a tail or a column really and i couldn't detect any tail by sweeping laterally above the comet with Comet Pons-brooks outside of the FOV (i.e. i couldn't detect anything if i made the test a blind test to rule out imagination).

I wondered if a larger FOV would help so i popped in a 31mm eyepiece:

IMG_5039.jpeg.77ffdfed8cbfd557fbcc868813b4e688.jpeg

The comet was still detectable but at a 4mm exit pupil the sky was too light for anything other than a glowing ball. Still, good for context.

Finally i decided to get in close and darken the sky with magnification. This is with a 5mm EP and ~0.65 exit pupil:

IMG_5041.jpeg.b5a18ea1f8a4b08a66d52612e623a169.jpeg

It took ~30min under a blanket to get this to reveal itself. It was by no means as contrasted as this pic of a pastel on card sketch would lead you to believe but the extent and shape is as true as i can get it. Again sweeping above the comet with the comet outside of the FOV i couldn't "trip over" any extended tail towards the North. I estimate what i could see to be about 5:1 in ratio (width to length) and with about 4' of extended brightness and maybe 7 or 8' of detectable "edge" to the tail overall with a slightly longer edge on the North Western side. There was a few arc- seconds of brightness to the South East leading the nucleus that i haven't shown very well here.

Attempting a binoview at 1.7mm and 1.3mm exit pupils didn't add anything - in fact perceived contrast was reduced. 

Overall - super satisfying and a nice addition to my very short observed comets list.

Here are the thumbnails:

IMG_5042.jpeg.d0395c65e3e4c0b40db4476e23525a2c.jpeg

Edited by josefk
  • Like 20

Awesome @josefk!

I have to say I'm a bit jealous... the comet is way too low in the horizon at my latitudes for any proper observation, I'm afraid. But your post made me live vicariously ;) thanks for that!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the kind words @lunator, @SwiMatt and @mikeDnight - as always the process is a brilliant aid to seeing better so i'm a happy bunny today to have got this one. I think the forecast is "as you were" horizon to horizon cloud again now for a few days...

• Like 2

Hello joesfk. May I have permission to use your drawings in next months episode of my Comet Chasing youtube channel? I would like to share what the comet looks like in the eyepiece with viewers. I will attribute them of course, and if you have any additional infor/stories you would like to share I could include that too. Thanks! Greg

12 hours ago, theskyhound said:

Hello joesfk. May I have permission to use your drawings in next months episode of my Comet Chasing youtube channel? I would like to share what the comet looks like in the eyepiece with viewers. I will attribute them of course, and if you have any additional infor/stories you would like to share I could include that too. Thanks! Greg

I’m flattered Greg by the request but they’re a bit rough so I prefer not 😚

Nice content on your website though and slick YouTube. Kudos to you. 

4 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Fine sketches Joe , well done,,,,,:thumbsup:

I was sitting very comfortably Steve  😂. Every little helps 👍

• Haha 1

On 29/03/2024 at 23:59, josefk said:

Well, I am sorry to hear that. I think they are fine. I can trim, rotate, and make other adjustments to make them look good. With all these pictures of the comet, I am hoping to show more what it looks like in the eyepiece, and your drawings do that nicely.

On 30/03/2024 at 05:59, josefk said:

@josefk you do yourself down. They are true-to-life sincere (and very good) sketches to be proud of, I really think you should change your mind.

( @theskyhound )

M

• Like 1