NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I love my 3D printer

gajjer

I bought a 3D printer a few months ago and I love it to bits. Previously I would have made stuff on my little Chinese lathe, but now I print it - well the stuff that lens itself to printing.

I wanted to modify a Skywatcher finder scope to take my QHY camera, so I have an extra guider. I found a design on Thangs but although the thread was ok for the scope, the thread for the camera was not. So I resorted to designing my own. I'm not a mech eng but I find that Fusion 360 is a really simple program to use and I've managed to design several oddments for the boss. 

Making the thread was a little bit more difficult than I had hoped but there are plenty of videos online. I don't know what the thread size is on the Skywatcher but it is around 50mm dia and a 0.8mm pitch. I printed something off just to check the thread using a dia of 50mm. It was too big as I expected but this is where the 3D printer is comes into it's own. A quick change to 49.5mm and I was able to print off another with virtually no effort at all. On the lathe I would have been cursing and wondering if it was worth it. That too was also too big, but finally with 49.3mm dia I hit the sweet spot.

Now I just printed that out using standard quality 0.2 layer height, so I could probably get better, but it doesn't need to take much stress - so good enough. I'll revisit one day no doubt.

Having done that I added a tube to accept the camera and printed a 6mm hole through it for a screw to secure the camera.

Job done and I have to say a sense of achievement. 

File is attached if anyone is interested.

cheers

Gaj

adapter_49.3_tube.stl

• Like 5

I've been saying that 3d printer is probably one of highest value accessories in this hobby - for anyone with even slightest DIY ambition.

Astronomy buddy of mine just got himself a Bambu P1S and one of his first prints was M48 / M63 adapter to attach camera and reducer to focuser on his 6" RC.

He intended it for prototype only - to verify correct spacing and that he'll be able to achieve the focus, but after seeing the quality of the print (I helped a bit with modelling and slicer settings) - he now thinks he'll be just using 3d printed version.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Sorry I didn't post a picture ( I got called for dinner and food comes first!! )

8 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

He intended it for prototype only - to verify correct spacing and that he'll be able to achieve the focus, but after seeing the quality of the print (I helped a bit with modelling and slicer settings) - he now thinks he'll be just using 3d printed version.

That was pretty much my thinking. It's 'fit for purpose' so why not. I had no idea what the spacing should be and this is quick and dirty.

cheers

gaj

Adapter.png

Edited by gajjer

A 3D printer is probably the single most useful thing I ever bought. Need a new Bahtinov mask? Just print one. Need a thing to mount my raspberry pi? Just print one. And having access to fusion 360 free for personal use is just the icing on an already delicious cake. I’ve tried other software but I’ve not found anything as intuitive as fusion 360. 

The biggest project I used my printer for was building a cnc router. Also an incredibly useful device. But I don’t use it anywhere near as much as my little Ender 3.

Lately I’ve been toying with the idea of building a Voron. Looks like such a fun project to work on. Bit of a financial commitment though especially when there are commercially available printers that are just as capable for less than the cost of building your own. But damn it would be a fun project, with all the hassles and problems to overcome that a project like that entails.

• Like 1

Haven't used mine in a while, the initial excitement soon wears off. But it is a useful tool when you need something specific or kind of straight away, it's very satisfying when a multiple print project comes together too.

Fusion 360 is an excellent program, simple to use and is fully engineering capable with CAM capability. My designs have always been accurate for fit and function requirements. If I've got two 3d prints which need to fit together in PLA (IE one into another) I usually leave -0.25 to -0.5mm a side off the mating faces, usually fits perfect, but could also be down to my printer resolution capability (its not great, I upgraded the hotend and the bed to be heated but I still can't print ABS or PETG and Ninjaflex which would make it infinitely more useful).

57 minutes ago, Vallantho said:

A 3D printer is probably the single most useful thing I ever bought. Need a new Bahtinov mask? Just print one. Need a thing to mount my raspberry pi? Just print one. And having access to fusion 360 free for personal use is just the icing on an already delicious cake. I’ve tried other software but I’ve not found anything as intuitive as fusion 360. 

The biggest project I used my printer for was building a cnc router. Also an incredibly useful device. But I don’t use it anywhere near as much as my little Ender 3.

Lately I’ve been toying with the idea of building a Voron. Looks like such a fun project to work on. Bit of a financial commitment though especially when there are commercially available printers that are just as capable for less than the cost of building your own. But damn it would be a fun project, with all the hassles and problems to overcome that a project like that entails.

I have to agree its the most useful thing I ever bought .

Just had a look through my folder that I keep 3d designs in wether from thingy or ones ive made 782 files😱.

Recently got a SV 3-8 zoom and I needed a spacer so the long barrel didnt hit the diagonal ,Just print off in tpu  ,dew shields for bino's print some off ,missing caps ,brackets for lasers or view finders.

I dont think theres a week goes by I dont print something

I just use tinkercad for design and cura to slice 

• Like 1

Handy if you have to desire and time to use it.  It's a hobby unto itself, but the cost of parts for astronomy is usually so high that it certainly encourages you to use the 3D printed option.

I would quite like a reasonably powered laser cutter as a compliment.

I recently upgraded my prusa mini to input shaping.  That's been an experience.  5 hour prints done in 2 hours!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Have look through this little lot, where I've also added the scad files etc..

Wow. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Vallantho said:

Need a new Bahtinov mask?

Yep. Done that!

1 hour ago, Vallantho said:

The biggest project I used my printer for was building a cnc router

Oooooh I'd like to see that one. Quite fancy one of those. Not done a RPi case - I'm an ESP8266/32-CAM kind of chap myself. Home monitoring mainly. I too have an Ender 3 and my only criticism would be the way the ribbon cable comes out of the print head. I made an aluminium support for it. It looked like it was just a matter of time before fatigue got the better of it. As you say, Fusion 360 is a very lovely free icing on a very lovely cake. I have surprised myself at the things I have done. Also, it's not always the price factor. Now I am retired, I like to keep myself mentally active and it certainly does that.

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Haven't used mine in a while, the initial excitement soon wears off.

I know that feeling too. Quite a while ago my son bought a Prussa and there were lots of issues with it and he gave it to me. I printed a bust of Nefertiti and it sat doing nothing after that. But it was a pain to use. The Ender 3 seems to have cracked most of the problems and most times I can just start it off printing with no intervention/setup. Initially there was a flurry of printing stupid things, then to earn brownie points there were the cookie cutters and Xmas decorations. Then a quiet patch. Then printing boxes for ESP8266 projects. Then some astro stuff and I am finding that though there are quiet patches, ideas come to me, I go onto Thangs and I'm off down another rabbit hole! BTW I wrecked a bed using PETG - just couldn't get the bits off. There's an irony in that since many people find it difficult getting stuff to stick to the bed! I now use this one YOOPAI Double Side Textured PEI Sheet 235x235mm, Ender 3 Magnetic Build Plate Spring Steel Bed For Creality Ender 3/ Ender 3 Pro/Ender 3 V2/ Ender 3 S1/ Ender 3 Neo/Voxelab Aquila 3D Printer : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science.

Plus I also use a bit of PritStik from time to time.

I have made many things on my lathe and mini mill and I'm really pleased with them, but some things I just thought it was going to be so much hassle I didn't entertain the idea of making it. Now my first shot is to go to Thangs followed by an adventure in Fusion 360 and for me it is an adventure.

cheers

gaj

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gajjer said:

Oooooh I'd like to see that one. Quite fancy one of those. Not done a RPi case - I'm an ESP8266/32-CAM kind of chap myself. Home monitoring mainly. I too have an Ender 3 and my only criticism would be the way the ribbon cable comes out of the print head. I made an aluminium support for it. It looked like it was just a matter of time before fatigue got the better of it. As you say, Fusion 360 is a very lovely free icing on a very lovely cake. I have surprised myself at the things I have done. Also, it's not always the price factor. Now I am retired, I like to keep myself mentally active and it certainly does that.

Sure thing I’ll take some photos tomorrow when it’s light. I got a bit of a collection of microcontrollers, esps, arduinos, pi picos, that sort of thing. Not much of a programmer but I’ve used them in a few synthesiser modules and LED projects. Bit of a fan of the old WS2812 LED strips. 

What I’ve found with all these hobbies I get myself into is how well they blend together and the knowledge and skills you pick up along the way complement each other.

• Like 1