Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing night with Helios Apollo 15x70 binos

A great night for observing from home - no lights from anywhere. I decided to use my Helios Apollo 15x70 binos with the occasional use of my Astronomic O-111 plus my Televue type 2 Nebstar filters.

Started with M33 then the Double Clusters.Moved over to Auriga and observed M38, M36 and M37. Then to Taurus and I could make out M1. Drop down to Orion to see M42 and M43. I then moved up to M78.

Over to Gemini and started with the Eskimo Neb (really small in my binos). then up to M35 and NGC 2158. Moved down to Monoceros and took in M46 and M47 (could not see the PN) and then took in Rosette Neb but had to use my TeleVue filter to see the Neb.

Over to M44 and M67. Leo was nicely placed now took in M65 and M66 could not make out NGC 3628.

Finally I decided to view Ursa Major and started with M101 (very faint) and ended the night with M81 and M82.

• Like 9

Not sure of the exact measurement but having to screw the filters into the eyecup must make the eyes relief smaller.

Having said that I don't have a problem although I don't wear glasses.

Unfortunately Helios have discontinued the sale of the Apollo binos.

Nice report. Just adding fuel to the fire of me wanting to add some good bins to my observing kit.

Were you able to glimpse NGC 604 in M33 with or without the filters? Always love spotting DSOs in other DSOs.

• Like 1

Hello Matthew sorry for the delay in replying.

No M33 was quite low down and I did not see NGC604 although I have seen it in the past. I cannot remember whether it was with the binos.

With regard to the bins I like using the Apollo because I am able to screw in filters into the eye socket. Recent models does not have the screw facility which is a shame.

thanks for your response.
Are you referring to the fact that the recent models of this model, the Helios Apollo 15x70, do not have threads on the eyepieces? ...only the old ones have it?

Edited by Cornelius Varley
formatting corrected

hello again,
I have spoken with a company that has this model and they tell me that it does not have threads and that they must be older models.
Tico.

Edited by Cornelius Varley
formatting corrected

Yes I bought a pair new recently primarily for the threads on the eyepieces to enable me to use UHC filters. On receiving them I discovered that they had removed them. The supplier was however still advertising them as having threaded eyepieces.

I've just seen a pair of those advertised for a £170 on the bay I have heard good things about them. 

I will have to check those objects out with my 15x70s see if I can see them. 

Great report thanks for sharing.