Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12" Newtonians - comparisons

3 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

You say that in the past tense John ? Do you no longer have it ? 😯

I had to let it go earlier this year 🙁. We have 2 lively grand children here often now and refractors can be tucked safely away but a 12 inch F/5.3 dob invites lots of attention, inevitably. 

I had a good decade or more with the scope though so I can't really complain 🙂

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Flame Nebula said:

How's it handle close uneven doubles, like Sirius B, compared to the C9.25? Or more precisely, given that 11 arc seconds isn't close, just the specific example of Sirius B? 

It was my 12 inch dob that first showed me Sirius B, quite a few years ago now, when the separation was less than 10 arc seconds. It took a lot of sessions to get that first split but since then I've done it many times and more recently with my smaller aperture scopes. It never seemed an "easy" thing to do though, even with 12 inches of aperture. The seeing conditions had to be really steady and Sirius relatively clear of the surrounding rooftops with their heating plumes during the time of year when Sirius is well placed (of course 🙄)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

I had to let it go earlier this year 🙁. We have 2 lively grand children here often now and refractors can be tucked safely away but a 12 inch F/5.3 dob invites lots of attention, inevitably. 

I had a good decade or more with the scope though so I can't really complain 🙂

Thats a shame John, but all good things must come to an end i guess.

I'm sure the new owner is thrilled with it. I never had a 300/1600 ; my scope was the short tube 300/1200. I still miss its aperture sometimes and those lovely rich field views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1