Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroLandscapes #61 - Aurora Chasing in Norway (new film)

Last week we were fortunate enough to head off for our third Norwegian trip to the oft-overlooked island of Langøya within the Arctic Circle.  During the last couple of trips we've been blessed with sensational aurora - bright arcs, dancing pillars, overhead coronas - even punching through bright moonlight and at one point casting distinct shadows on the ground.

This time, I took my whole family and some dear friends, excited by the prospect of showing them the magic of the northern lights, safe in the knowledge that as we edge ever closer to solar maximum - and with the spell-binding displays over the whole of the UK on numerous occasions last year - we'd be guaranteed a spectacle.  Because that's the way it works, right?

Hmmmm, maybe not.  Find out more 👇

• Like 6

Hi Paul,

Great in-depth video, glad you got to shoot the Aurora.

I've been chasing it for years in Scotland, but so far have not managed to get a look in.

Your video has encouraged me to pull the trigger on take my chase to Norway.

All the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkpm4242 said:

I like the drone imaging!

Thanks Paul - there would have been precious little photography without it! 

48 minutes ago, mareman48 said:

I've been chasing it for years in Scotland, but so far have not managed to get a look in.

Your video has encouraged me to pull the trigger on take my chase to Norway.

Thank you. All the best with the trip planning. It’s a stunning place regardless, but all the more magical with the aurora!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, that a lovely video!. Some great images and nicely narrated. We're off to Norway in November, will stay 5 days in Grotfjorden just north of Tromso - fingers crossed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommohawk said:

Hey, that a lovely video!. Some great images and nicely narrated. We're off to Norway in November, will stay 5 days in Grotfjorden just north of Tromso - fingers crossed!

Thank you - very kind. Exciting you’re off to the north! I’d love to get over there again and very much hope we can, though likely next year now. Great time of year to go - good luck!

• Like 1

Wow! Those last few minutes from 2023 were spectacular!

My wife is hopefully having a knee replacement shortly, although the date has already been changed 3 times.

Because of this we plan to go on a cruise to see the aurora as she won't be fully mobile after the op.

Depending on the date of the op we plan to go late autumn or early Spring.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Wow! Those last few minutes from 2023 were spectacular!

My wife is hopefully having a knee replacement shortly, although the date has already been changed 3 times.

Because of this we plan to go on a cruise to see the aurora as she won't be fully mobile after the op.

Depending on the date of the op we plan to go late autumn or early Spring.

Thank you - yes it was an amazing night!

All the best to your wife - hope the op is a success and life returns to its fullness. Those are great times to go - never been on a cruise but I imagine it encourages a much more relaxed approach to aurora watching - something I could learn from!!

Paul

• Like 1