NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Attempts

Adaaam75

Guys,

Constructive criticism please, seeing wasn't great and I was fumbling through Registax and GIMP but I'm very happy with my first real attempts.

ASI 462MC through Sharpcap on a 9.25/AVX. No filters. Probably 2000 frames but loads binned due to poor seeing.

Please bring the honesty and advice...

Screenshot_20240228_233221_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_233215_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_233211_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_233206_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_233200_Gallery.jpg

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Adaaam75 said:

Guys,

Constructive criticism please, seeing wasn't great and I was fumbling through Registax and GIMP but I'm very happy with my first real attempts.

ASI 462MC through Sharpcap on a 9.25/AVX. No filters. Probably 2000 frames but loads binned due to poor seeing.

Please bring the honesty and advice...

Screenshot_20240228_233221_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_233215_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_233211_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_233206_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_233200_Gallery.jpg

Your right to be pleased with the images 👍 .Did you do much processing with them as far as sharpening and contrast ?

• Thanks 1

Great first images. As we discussed on the other thread, include a UV/IR cut filter to correct the colours or IR pass to help with bad seeing. For this set, I would convert to monochrome so you don't have this colour cast.

I would go a bit easier on the sharpening as the edges of the craters are a bit blown. In my eyes, the third and last images are almost there but the very white is a sign of over sharpening.

Worth trying Astrosurface instead of registax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Albir phil said:

Your right to be pleased with the images 👍 .Did you do much processing with them as far as sharpening and contrast ?

I did, which tells me my initial focusing was slightly off because I had to stretch the images more than I wanted to to get some sharpness at a cost of resolution. I'm hoping to be able to achieve better focus in future but not great seeing hampers visually focusing and my Bahtinov skills aren't great (apparently!).

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Great first images. As we discussed on the other thread, include a UV/IR cut filter to correct the colours or IR pass to help with bad seeing. For this set, I would convert to monochrome so you don't have this colour cast.

I would go a bit easier on the sharpening as the edges of the craters are a bit blown. In my eyes, the third and last images are almost there but the very white is a sign of over sharpening.

Worth trying Astrosurface instead of registax.

Can't wait to get back out and use the filter to see what difference it makes. I'll convert them to monochrome to understand the values and what I should be looking to achieve. Unfortunately the over-sharpening was as a result of inexperience in processing and the quality of the initial images/capture.

I'll take a look at Astrosurface, I went with Registax because it's all anyone talks about but I'm open to other software just to find one I'm really comfortable with 👍🏼

27 minutes ago, Adaaam75 said:

'm hoping to be able to achieve better focus in future but not great seeing hampers visually focusing and my Bahtinov skills aren't great (apparently!).

Try focus on the moon features not using a mask. You will get much better results.

23 minutes ago, Adaaam75 said:

Can't wait to get back out and use the filter to see what difference it makes. I'll convert them to monochrome to understand the values and what I should be looking to achieve. Unfortunately the over-sharpening was as a result of inexperience in processing and the quality of the initial images/capture.

I'll take a look at Astrosurface, I went with Registax because it's all anyone talks about but I'm open to other software just to find one I'm really comfortable with 👍🏼

Yes experiment with the software. There is plenty out there 😁.

We are usually drawn to the more bold features and we tend to oversharpen. I still do it with my planets but having other critical eyes to feedback is great.

Looking forward to more captures.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adaaam75 said:

I did, which tells me my initial focusing was slightly off because I had to stretch the images more than I wanted to to get some sharpness at a cost of resolution. I'm hoping to be able to achieve better focus in future but not great seeing hampers visually focusing and my Bahtinov skills aren't great (apparently!).

Yeah I used to over sharpen when I first started as well as contrast, but you learn as you progress in processing.End of the day if you're happy with the images that's what matters.🤓

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great first set of images. With lunar imaging you are at the mercy of the atmosphere so cannot always get the sharpness you desire. Best not to oversharpen.  I ofter image just before it gets dark as the air can be more steady at that time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Great first set of images. With lunar imaging you are at the mercy of the atmosphere so cannot always get the sharpness you desire. Best not to oversharpen.  I ofter image just before it gets dark as the air can be more steady at that time.

Oooh! This is a gem piece of advice thanks.

• Like 1