Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10 & 12 " dobsonians, goto and tracking

2 hours ago, Flame Nebula said:

Hi Space Cowboy, is it a goto version? ( hopefully not an insulting question 😆

It was the auto tracking version before the GOTO Dobs came out but it works with the GOTO handset.

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

In two parts i presume. It's the awkwardness of them both together that poses problems. I still don't envy you manoeuvring the base up and down stairs.

Oh yes always move in 2 parts. I do have a holdall from Argos that the OTA fits in perfectly for car journeys.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of GoTo, and its associated ability to track whilst I change eyepieces.

When it starts to get dark, I can set up my Skywatcher Skyliner 250 flextube Dob. with Synscan Goto, using Brightest Star (2-star, or planet + 2-star); then go in for tea, and the 'scope will still be tracking the last alignment star when I come out refreshed. I can still direct the mount manually, and the encoders tell the handset where the OTA is pointing, so I have not lost alignment. However, I find that it is much easier to use the handset, with its range of slew rates available, to slew quickly and then make fine adjustments to centre the target.

Geoff

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

I'm a fan of GoTo, and its associated ability to track whilst I change eyepieces.

When it starts to get dark, I can set up my Skywatcher Skyliner 250 flextube Dob. with Synscan Goto, using Brightest Star (2-star, or planet + 2-star); then go in for tea, and the 'scope will still be tracking the last alignment star when I come out refreshed. I can still direct the mount manually, and the encoders tell the handset where the OTA is pointing, so I have not lost alignment. However, I find that it is much easier to use the handset, with its range of slew rates available, to slew quickly and then make fine adjustments to centre the target.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. 

How would you rate the scope's visual performance? 

2 hours ago, Flame Nebula said:

How would you rate the scope's visual performance? 

I'm no expert, but it works well for me, with a range of eyepieces and a comfortable viewing position range. I do not normally have to adjust the collimation each time I extend it - perhaps a minor adjustment of the primary mirror, a couple of times a year.

Geoff

3 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

I'm no expert, but it works well for me, with a range of eyepieces and a comfortable viewing position range. I do not normally have to adjust the collimation each time I extend it - perhaps a minor adjustment of the primary mirror, a couple of times a year.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Have you ever compared it to a C9.25? I'm hovering between these two options. 

5 minutes ago, Flame Nebula said:

Have you ever compared it to a C9.25?

No. I have the, much smaller,  Skymax 127 MCT, and this is faster to set up than the bigger Dob., but does not gather as much light if I am going for faint fuzzies.

Geoff