NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

High magnification for 80ED.

tico

Hello,
I have an 80ED refractor with 600mm focal length.
I use a Baader 8-24mm Zoom with a 2.25x Baader barlow lens that gives me about 170x for planetary, lunar and star observation with good results, but I would like to be able to use some power... would it be possible with my telescope? Let's say around 225 or 250x..., if so, which eyepiece would you recommend?
Thank you.
Tico

Edited by Cornelius Varley
background colour to text removed

Hello 

You have plenty of power with what you already have. You have an 80mm scope which would put you at the very top of your magnification for that scope with your zoom barlowed at x170 unless your seeing is incredibly good. I would have thought x12O would be loads most evenings for planetary observation.

Anyway enjoy your gear. You have a great outfit with enough magnification to cover all your bases. 

Edited by Moonlit Night
  • Like 1

I have an 80ED and I would say your x170 is on its top limit. You won't see any more detail at higher powers and the image will get darker with floaters becoming a problem.

• Like 1

Yes, as others have said, you have already reached the maximum useful limit at x170.

So your next eyepiece should have a 4” refractor attached to it 🙂👍

Edited by dweller25
  • Haha 1