Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright fireball

andrew63

I saw this on the news yesterday, then at my sons football match last night (20th) another parent caught this on their phone. It would be around 5:45 heading north west ish.  I’ve tried online to see if there were other reports but nothing. Thoughts?3a29592d-011b-47fe-bfc1-1862b7305d8f.thumb.jpeg.d80fbfbfae19ebd856bba562b0520bc2.jpeg

Edited by John Nodding
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John Nodding said:

I saw this on the news yesterday, then at my sons football match last night (20th) another parent caught this on their phone. It would be around 5:45 heading north west ish.  I’ve tried online to see if there were other reports but nothing. Thoughts?3a29592d-011b-47fe-bfc1-1862b7305d8f.thumb.jpeg.d80fbfbfae19ebd856bba562b0520bc2.jpeg

That looks like airliner contrail to me.

So I looked at Flight radar 24 to see if any big planes were heading NWish over that part of the world.

Not a perfect match, but I don't know the actual location:

image.thumb.png.335e7ea858ee151cef9aad4a7757cb5d.png

The limited TV broadcast (dash & security cameras) footage gave me the impression of space junk on the way down, rather than meteor material.
That is an uneducated assessment based on colour, speed and brightness changes.
More knowledgeable/informed opinions welcome!

7 hours ago, John Nodding said:

I often see these posted. Slow moving, around sunset/sunrise, and with a double tail is usually a sure sign of an aircraft/contrail.

5 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

The limited TV broadcast (dash & security cameras) footage gave me the impression of space junk on the way down, rather than meteor material.
That is an uneducated assessment based on colour, speed and brightness changes.
More knowledgeable/informed opinions welcome!

Space junk will usually last many 10's of seconds, but to me the footage I've seen here (see below) looks more like a natural fireball - rate of travel and the terminal flash look like multiple events my own cameras have caught.