NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starguider zoom and prime lenses

I’m slightly puzzled but have to come clean. I have Starguider 12mm and 8mm lenses and I’ve been perfectly pleased with them (also an 82 deg 16mm Nirvana and unbranded 32mm plossl which is actually very good).

I very often use either the two Starguider prime lenses and or the Starguider 8-24 zoom I have on small targets like double stars or tonight, Jupiter. I’ve come to the conclusion over time that I really can’t tell the difference! Is it my eyes? Have I got an exceptionally good sample of a zoom or two indifferent 12 and 8mm lenses?

im not unhappy about the situation just interested to know!

Just not jaded enough by years of observing experience and not having used lots of expensive glass to notice any difference.  I was that way 25 years ago.  You can never get back to that point, so enjoy it.  Your wallet will thank you.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Robthepiano said:

I’m slightly puzzled but have to come clean. I have Starguider 12mm and 8mm lenses and I’ve been perfectly pleased with them (also an 82 deg 16mm Nirvana and unbranded 32mm plossl which is actually very good).

I very often use either the two Starguider prime lenses and or the Starguider 8-24 zoom I have on small targets like double stars or tonight, Jupiter. I’ve come to the conclusion over time that I really can’t tell the difference! Is it my eyes? Have I got an exceptionally good sample of a zoom or two indifferent 12 and 8mm lenses?

im not unhappy about the situation just interested to know!

I'm in a similar boat, although the Morpheus I got is getting the better of me.  I got the 17,5degree because I tried the 16mm Nirvana and found it a bit rough at the edges.  It was the eyepiece that made me realise I do have limits.

I'm a big fan of the 60 degree FOV.  I find it just peachy for sketching. 

Baader Hyperion 13mm and Morpheus 12.5mm my wife who has little to no interest in anything apart from  Saturn  says she can tell the difference. She describes the stars in the Morh  'yes very nice love'  and could tell the difference in 3 seconds while carrying a bottle of wine from garage  to  house, a justified upgrade. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's also true that there are some very decent zooms out there. I don't have the one you mention, but I do have four others, and they can all give my fixed EPs a run for their money.

• Like 2

I didn't use zoom eyepieces for quite a few years but now I find them in my focuser very often even though I have a case full of excellent fixed focal length eyepieces.

I think todays zoom eyepieces have reached a level where their optical performance is close enough to fixed focal length units that the facility to almost instantly change the magnification is often enough to pursuade the observer to just "carry on zooming" rather than to change to a fixed focal length in the hope of a very modest enhancement of the view.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John said:

I didn't use zoom eyepieces for quite a few years but now I find them in my focuser very often even though I have a case full of excellent fixed focal length eyepieces.

I think todays zoom eyepieces have reached a level where their optical performance is close enough to fixed focal length units that the facility to almost instantly change the magnification is often enough to pursuade the observer to just "carry on zooming" rather than to change to a fixed focal length in the hope of a very modest enhancement of the view.

That is exactly what I have found , in the main.  I too had a love hate relationship with zooms over the past few years and tried quite few of them.  The only one that stuck initially was the little Carton  7mm -21mm bought from Dave (F15 ) I really like that one, small and very good.  I have had the APM 7.7mm- 15.4 zoom with constant 67 deg for about a year and it is a keeper.  The other zoom is the much talked about Svbony 3-8 and this one I have used for 6 months so far and cannot fault it, using my eyes you understand, but levity aside I do think it  very good.  I now have just two short focal length eyepieces, 3.5mm which I will keep and 5mm which is on its way out....hopefully..:smiley:

• Like 3

I only use a zoom EP (WO 7.5-22.5 mm) which I use for solar observing at work. I like it a lot, but the FOV is somewhat limited, but it fits the sun in the FOV neatly, and it has sufficient eye relief (18-19.5 mm). That is very important for me, as I need to wear glasses when observing. Most zooms are lacking in this respect. The APM 77-15.4 sounds very interesting, I must say

• Like 1

Without doubt people’s individual eyesight affects their ability to see differences between eyepieces. You need to tick several variables to get the best out of eyepieces: obviously seeing, position of target in the sky, type of target, collimation etc. But good eyesight is one of those variables - not only to appreciate sharpness, but colour and contrast too. 
But it’s worth repeating that, on axis, the differences between 95% of eyepieces on the market are very slim. With most expensive EPs, you’re paying for better edge performance and wider views in faster telescopes. 
A very small number of exceptional planetary eyepieces will show more detail on axis, using a combination of better glass, coatings and polish - but even then you need excellent seeing (and good eyesight) to really appreciate the benefits.
For many observers, the easiest way to ensure a step change in views - particularly of solar system objects - is to use both eyes and get a binoviewer. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

I'll adopt the use of zooms when they have a constant 80° field from 8-24mm.

Do you care if correction is horrendous or if the zoom is gargantuan and varifocal?

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

Do you care if correction is horrendous or if the zoom is gargantuan and varifocal?

Excellent correction, of course, and smooth in operation, and equally well-corrected at every focal length, and parfocal through the range.

Weight limit one kilogram.  2" size.

Can it be done?  Maybe.

Will it be done?  Unlikely, as it would have no use in spotting scopes, the home of most zooms.

• Like 2