Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces for refractor ED80/600

tico

Hello,
I have a SW ED80/600 refractor and I would like to know your opinion on what type of eyepieces would be good with this telescope.
Thank you.
Tico. 

image.png

Edited by Cornelius Varley
background colour to text removed

It would help if we had some idea of your budget. Good though the Starguiders are, they can be improved on with a cash injection. For me, the Baader Morpheus range is wonderful value for money, being better than or as good as a lot of more expensive options.

If you buy cheaper EPs, there's a danger you"ll start casting covetous eyes on more expensive ones, so why not short cut the process? 😉

If you don't wear glasses while observing, I'd recommend the SvBony 3-8mm zoom. It will cover magnifications from x75-200. The field of view is a little less than the Starguiders, and the eye relief is quite tight, but you won't be swapping eyepieces around, or refocusing all the time. Optically, it's a little gem.

I'd complement the zoom with a nice wide field eyepiece at the longer focal length end, such as an Explore Scientific 68° 20 or 24mm, or Stellalyra UFF 24mm.

• Like 2

I'd suggest a cheap binoviewer and a couple of 18mm plossl's or orthoscopic's, and a 2X barlow fitted to the nose of the binoviewer. It will give you superb lunar and planetary views, and youll find it hard to believe you're only using an 80mm scope.

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.jpg.bb91c16dc03ef5acbc694d211f565e73.thumb.jpg.79c993f04b6e365a988ad4011db447f4.jpg

• Like 2