Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New face around here

Hi, I'd just like to say hello to all members and ask for some advice.

I know very very little about astromony but would like to know much more and by getting i scope i think it will be easier and more fun to learn.

The mrs has allowed me;) around £300, I've been looking at mororized scopes because of the ease of use and helping to learn for a beginner. The Celestron 130slt at around £290 looks good any opinions advice etc much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi and welcome to SGL. there are so many choices and variables to consider. Check out the sky watcher range. I'm sure someone will soon advise you. You could always give Steve at First Light Optics a call.

Hi and welcome.

Below are just a few you could buy. Are you planning to take photographs with your scope or is it purely visual work. If it's visual I would go for the largest aperture you can afford, as long as you have somewhere to store the scope. You will find that some have go-to which is a lovely item but at the expense of aperture.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Maksutov - Skywatcher Skymax 102 SynScan AZ GOTO

Omni XLT Series - Celestron Omni XLT 120

Omni XLT Series - Celestron Omni XLT 150

On balance - and this is purely a personal thing - please remember everyone has different needs and wants.

I'd go for either the Sky-Watcher 150P or PL on an EQ3-2 as it will give good views and is upgradeable as time goes by or hang around and see what comes up 2nd hand in good nick. Theres always 2nd hand kit for sale and so long as you employ some common sense you will be fine. Avoid e-bay stuff like the plague.

Best advice to give is call Stsve at Firts Light Optics for some professional and non-pushy advice.

hi sat12345.

im a newbie myself,i bought a celestron130slt,last october,joined a local astro society(sunderland),with a lot of help from the guys there,was upand running in no time.must say cant fault it,visually very good,saturn and moons,no problem,even saw ring nebular.

have fun,with whatever u get.ken.

That's eeirey (spelt wrong) I was also "allowed" to spend £300 a few weeks back - but came out of the shop having spent £399, having bagged a Celestron 4SE which I am loving - and luckily so is the wife (and kids - the look on my 6 year old daughter's face when she saw the moon through my scope last night was worth the investment).

However, last week I also bought an 8mm (eyepiece) which has substantially increased the magnification - cost £68 and £9 for a moon filter.

So what I have learnt and I am sure you will is this is a hobby that is going to keep on costing us for years and years, but I reckon its going to be worth it - Good luck with your new scope!

LOL cheers buddy I also looked at that scope, I think I'm right in saying thats the new model, I was going to go for that because of it being new and i the 30000 objects in its database but also read within reasonsize is everything in this game so think i'm going to go for an old model which is slightly bigger. But I know nothing and may be looking at it completly wrong.

Yep your right Matt, deep pockets are a bonus,,,,,but not essential requirement for participation. Some members just use binoculars and enjoy themselves as much as those with some very, very expensive kit.

Hi sat12345,

have you downloaded stellarium as it is a handy piece of software,

regards ron.s.g

make non goto just as easy as you know where to look

Cheers buddy, did last night but only had a quick look seems really good.

Hi and may I join everybody else in the welcome.

I'm a newbie too and can tell you that the support and help you get from everyone in SGL is the best without question.

Danny

Well, decided and bought the Celestron 130slt, hopefully the sky will be clear tonight so I can play. Got work in the morning and my alarm is due to go off at 03.15!! so this will test me dedication.

Archived