NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

16 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Hi, 

does anyone know if you can run the S50 from a laptop or does it have to be an IOS/Android tablet or phone ? 

You can use an Android emulator such as Bluestacks to run the app on your laptop.

MM

• Thanks 1

I have read that some have tried android emulators in windows but have had no success. I don't have a Seestar but have downloaded the software onto a very old android phone and it looks to be ok. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

I have read that some have tried android emulators in windows but have had no success. I don't have a Seestar but have downloaded the software onto a very old android phone and it looks to be ok. 

Hmm.

So I haven't tried this but it does run the Asiair software and most Android apps so it would be very surprising if it doesn't run the Seestar app.

Certainly worth a try.

MM

4 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Yea looking to put on a laptop ideally though - I think I’ll get a new tablet, cheers 

Using Bluestacks is running it from your laptop.  You install Bluestacks on the laptop then run it and install the Seestar app within Bluestacks.

https://www.bluestacks.com/

It should work but I've not tried it for the Seestar app.

MM

• Like 1

In case I get a Seestar at some point I purchased a Doogee T20 from Amazon (the upgraded one about £120). My very old android tablet would not accept the software for download hence the purchase. I have to say that its a most impressive piece of kit.

(Should Mrs Tomatobro read this I have the astro essentials levelling plate and a focus mask already from Flo just in case my Capex is approved)

Edited by Tomatobro
update
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All, have ordered my Seestar and looking forward to it arriving!

One question in the meantime: I'm aware it has a "light pollution" filter which can be switched on or off. However, I live somewhere where we don't really have light pollution (nominally Bortle 1): are there still cases where I should leave the filter on? For example emission nebulae?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Try both and see what happens 

Will do, just wondered if there was a reasoning behind it! Actually I realised i hijacked the wrong thread, meant to put it in the main Seestar thread!

14 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

Personally think there should be an independent channel for robotic assisted astronomy 

There is. It's the EAA section which also covers the Seestar S50.

19 hours ago, Brutha said:

leave the filter on

This is quite poor marketing by ZWO really. They should be more specific. Although technically it is a light pollution filter, more specifically it is a wide bandpass hydrogen alpha and oxygen iii dual band filter, so will provide some added contrast separation from background signal and emission objects rich in HA and O3 ionisation. As suggested try it and see, you'll see the effect pretty much straight away after a few minutes of live stacking.

And yes please post further queries in the much much larger Seestar thread.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Elp said:

This is quite poor marketing by ZWO really. They should be more specific. Although technically it is a light pollution filter, more specifically it is a wide bandpass hydrogen alpha and oxygen iii dual band filter, so will provide some added contrast separation from background signal and emission objects rich in HA and O3 ionisation. As suggested try it and see, you'll see the effect pretty much straight away after a few minutes of live stacking.

And yes please post further queries in the much much larger Seestar thread.

Thanks! Will do!