Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Monoceros Triplet - a doodle.

Now that I've finally spotted this as a framing, I find myself wondering why it's not an established imaging classic. I've always felt the obvious extension was to the north and the Cone region rather than south to these.  I suspect Paul Kummer and I will try this one properly at some time, using the RASA. For now this is a small doodle based on a Samyang 135 base image overlaid by an old Tak FSQ HaLRGB Rosette and RASA Sh2-280 and 282 in OSC. We'd actually need two more RASA panels to fill in the little bits that are missing. Samyang and RASA data captured and pre-procesed by Paul Kummer.

RosetteTripletWeb.thumb.jpg.f223c05c094a45807311f96c3089fbb2.jpg

Olly

• Like 10

Another fabulous target Olly. Lots of interesting detail and a nice tailing away to the south(?). The nebulae seem nicely balanced in intensity as well, although I don't know how much of that is in the processing of the multiple sources you used for this.

I look forward to the 'proper' image!

17 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Another fabulous target Olly. Lots of interesting detail and a nice tailing away to the south(?). The nebulae seem nicely balanced in intensity as well, although I don't know how much of that is in the processing of the multiple sources you used for this.

I look forward to the 'proper' image!

South is correct. I tried to match the hues from each source and would say that the Sharpless objects are a tad brighter than in nature. Then again, the Rosette here had a near-infinite amount of data :grin: and I stretched the blazes out of it.

Olly

Three frames with the Samyang + ASI1600 equivalent gets you the whole thing, including Sh2-284 - a real jewel in the sky.

I started this some time back - in fact January 2020 - it continues to be a work-in-progress.

Screenshot2024-01-17at11_20_20.thumb.png.0d67a03d15a46ea80e691b210928ede1.png

20% overlap:

Screenshot2024-01-17at11_16_08.thumb.jpg.0ca8cbe9ffe68d5adab466d2178183e0.jpg

Adrian

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Three frames with the Samyang + ASI1600 equivalent gets you the whole thing, including Sh2-284 - a real jewel in the sky.

I started this some time back - in fact January 2020 - it continues to be a work-in-progress.

Screenshot2024-01-17at11_20_20.thumb.png.0d67a03d15a46ea80e691b210928ede1.png

20% overlap:

Screenshot2024-01-17at11_16_08.thumb.jpg.0ca8cbe9ffe68d5adab466d2178183e0.jpg

Adrian

That's great, particularly in Ha which shows the connections so well.

Gettng started on Samyang 135 mosaics is always a risky undertaking! https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Emission-Nebulae/i-TqBkb24/A

Your Sh2-284 looks lovely. Another one for the RASA...

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Clarification

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Gettng started on mosaics is always a risky undertaking!

Never a truer word spoken. It's the OIII that gets you every time. Collecting enough OIII to do justice to Ha and SII is a real challenge - and HSS images don't have any appeal 🤣

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Your Sh2-284 looks lovely.

Currently on the list for my new StellaMira 90ED - weather permitting.

Thanks Olly.

Adrian

• Like 1

Very nice olly howing the spacial relationship of some common objects!

@Adreneline Adrian, that is a nice mosaic of three frames.  I had literally no idea that the Rosette was 'next door' to the Cone and Xmas tree.  I started a two panel mosaic on the Xmas tree, dont think I have what it takes to extend to the right though as much as I want to lol

NGC2264-copy-rotated.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I ....... dont think I have what it takes to extend to the right though as much as I want to lol

As @ollypenrice says, it is a risky undertaking starting a mosaic. I have started so many! You get a nice set of Ha and then the OIII is such a trial - it is so frequently 'un-rewarding' - a frame full of noise if you're lucky, often taken on a night with poor 'seeing', partial cloud and full moon - all because you're desperate to get a finished image!

That aside I feel you are duty bound to extend the above all the way across to Sh2-284 🤣

Good luck Adam!

Adrian

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Very nice olly howing the spacial relationship of some common objects!

@Adreneline Adrian, that is a nice mosaic of three frames.  I had literally no idea that the Rosette was 'next door' to the Cone and Xmas tree.  I started a two panel mosaic on the Xmas tree, dont think I have what it takes to extend to the right though as much as I want to lol

NGC2264-copy-rotated.jpg

Here's my three-panel Christmas Tree to Rosette done a while back on the Tak Epsilon 180ED on Pier 5 @Roboscopes in Spain with OSC camera. A fun mosaic.

XmasTree_Rosette.thumb.jpg.e26a1799c8651a4022377451df7fd5ee.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Now that I've finally spotted this as a framing, I find myself wondering why it's not an established imaging classic. I've always felt the obvious extension was to the north and the Cone region rather than south to these.  I suspect Paul Kummer and I will try this one properly at some time, using the RASA. For now this is a small doodle based on a Samyang 135 base image overlaid by an old Tak FSQ HaLRGB Rosette and RASA Sh2-280 and 282 in OSC. We'd actually need two more RASA panels to fill in the little bits that are missing. Samyang and RASA data captured and pre-procesed by Paul Kummer.

RosetteTripletWeb.thumb.jpg.f223c05c094a45807311f96c3089fbb2.jpg

Olly

Another realistic image. Very nice. There are a few things in AP that have no equal: speed, FOV, aperture, good seeing, low Bortle, quality optics, and processing skill.  You have them all!  And it shows.  Amazing

• Thanks 1

On 17/01/2024 at 11:25, Adreneline said:

Sh2-284 - a real jewel in the sky.

@ollypenrice I managed a few hours last night - much more required - but a jewel in the making ....

Sh2-284-SHO_3nm_x4.jpg.1e2b0a11a03c64d70e1d310d0edfd3f7.jpg

... and definitely worth including with the Rosette at the top of the image - IMHO 🤣

Adrian