Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Christmas favourite: Horsey!

ollypenrice

You may have seen this field before. :grin::grin: Paul Kummer shot this as a time filler but I'm glad he did because it has some nice differences from my existing TEC140 version. RASA 8, ASI2600 OSC, NEQ6.

Anyway, we like repeats at Christmas! Best wishes, everyone.

spacer.png

Big one here: https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Emission-Nebulae/i-FtHhTq9/A

We do have something special in the pipeline as well but it will probably be new year before we have it all in the can.

Olly

• Like 39

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

We do have something special in the pipeline as well but it will probably be new year before we have it all in the can.

Special? Yeah.....because everything else you guys do is rubbish 🤣 Those large mosaics of Orion and the Milky way you did were stunning.

Cracking image, is this in broadband or is there any Ha in it?

Very impressive Olly. 🤗 I just happened to have taken the left half of your image on the last clearish night a few weeks ago, but only got 84 mins worth with the RASA 11 and same camera. I've almost finished processing it and should be able to post it tomorrow.

What was the total integration time as it's gone a bit deeper than me? Also, what UV/IR block filter was used? I used the Astronomik L-3 as that was the one I had bought for the FLT-98 and wondered whether an L-2 may be a better choice with the RASA, but I don't have any coloured halos around my stars at the moment so it may be worth sticking with the L-3. 🙂

Alan

11 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Special? Yeah.....because everything else you guys do is rubbish 🤣 Those large mosaics of Orion and the Milky way you did were stunning.

Cracking image, is this in broadband or is there any Ha in it?

All broadband OSC. There's no telling which objects just won't play. In most cases we don't miss the NB but, occasionally, we get nothing without it.

The Orion image is spreading its wings...

7 hours ago, symmetal said:

Very impressive Olly. 🤗 I just happened to have taken the left half of your image on the last clearish night a few weeks ago, but only got 84 mins worth with the RASA 11 and same camera. I've almost finished processing it and should be able to post it tomorrow.

What was the total integration time as it's gone a bit deeper than me? Also, what UV/IR block filter was used? I used the Astronomik L-3 as that was the one I had bought for the FLT-98 and wondered whether an L-2 may be a better choice with the RASA, but I don't have any coloured halos around my stars at the moment so it may be worth sticking with the L-3. 🙂

Alan

93x3 minutes, Alan. I'm sorry but I can't remember what UV-IR cut we use. In truth I don't remember a filter at all. It's a ZWO ASI2600MC. Might it have a filtered chip glass? Edit: Dave, below, says it does.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

93x3 minutes, Alan. I'm sorry but I can't remember what UV-IR cut we use. In truth I don't remember a filter at all. It's a ZWO ASI2600MC. Might it have a filtered chip glass? Edit: Dave, below, says it does.

Over three times the integration would make a difference. :D

As I swap cameras between the ASI2600MC and the ASI6200MM I need the external filter to maintain the correct spacing so forgot about the in built one. The in built filter is fairly narrow anyway, being 400 - 680nm, while the L-3 is 420 - 680nm.  Next time I can take a few test images without the filter to see if the L-3 is the reason I have no blue star halos.

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, symmetal said:

Over three times the integration would make a difference. :D

For sure. Plus, we are working from a seriously dark site which often has very high transparency.  On the other hand, the nearest fish and chip shop is about 600 miles away...

:grin:lly

On 24/12/2023 at 16:56, old_eyes said:

Lovely image Olly. When the target and the conditions are right, and the astrophotography gods smile, OSC can deliver fantastic results.

Nadolig Llawen!

With fast systems we find a higher proportion of dust to emission, which gives a fresh look, I think.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Like 1