Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rookie mistake with Jupiter (15/12/23)

Kon

After a few weeks of no captures, I had a small window of good seeing that I messed up tonight. Seeing seemed quite good but I did a rookie mistake of not looking at my fps.  I had upgraded my capture software the other day and I did not pay attention that the high speed usb traffic was ticked off. I paid my mistake by having 42fps than my normal 100fps at 10ms. I only realised after I shared my image with @geoflewis who asked me how many frames per stack...... Anyhow, for your eyes only my soft Jupiter at 42fps. 4x60s derotation. My usual setup.

image.png.c98d9cc49aba48c943ddfcbbef57d154.png

• Like 18

It’s a nice image Kostas. 42 fps on Jupiter isn’t a disaster in good seeing, but when it’s marginal, as I suspect it was tonight, then you do pay a price. We’ve all ‘been there done that’, but nevertheless you’ve processed it well, so it shows both your skill and what can be salvaged from difficult circumstances.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, geoflewis said:

It’s a nice image Kostas. 42 fps on Jupiter isn’t a disaster in good seeing, but when it’s marginal, as I suspect it was tonight, then you do pay a price. We’ve all ‘been there done that’, but nevertheless you’ve processed it well, so it shows both your skill and what can be salvaged from difficult circumstances.

Thanks Geof. I am glad it happened when seeing wasn't the best. But the image wasn't as bad as I thought in terms of noise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Lovely image despite the FPS. I'm glad you at least grabbed your opportunity of a short session. It's been dismal here as well for weeks now. I'm looking forward to first light with the new scope 🤞.

Thanks Ian. I was eager to have a go as the rest of the week is not looking great. I hope you manage first light with the new setup soon.

• Thanks 1

Gorgeous mistake, Kostas. You can make wheat out of chaff, a testament to your processing skills as Geof noted. Great moon shot, too. This looks like a lovely painting :)

Regards, Reggie

Edited by orion25

That's super image Kostas! I'm sure you were frustrated not getting the full frame rate given the few opportunities there have been but in reality I doubt it's harmed your capture much if at all.

I made a rookie mistake last night by taking the cloudy forecast at face value and watching the final of strictly come dancing only to discover the sky had been clear outside! 😱

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

That's super image Kostas! I'm sure you were frustrated not getting the full frame rate given the few opportunities there have been but in reality I doubt it's harmed your capture much if at all.

I made a rookie mistake last night by taking the cloudy forecast at face value and watching the final of strictly come dancing only to discover the sky had been clear outside! 😱

Thanks Stuart. With the higher frame rate, I would have had more choice of goods frames but doing things in a rush is not ideal.

I hope you enjoyed the strictly, my wife and kids did. I am not sure if you missed much as the jetstream was passing by. I cannot see more opportunities for me  for a while.

• Like 1