NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair 2nm G Band filter

Highburymark

31 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

@Highburymark Looks impressive, but a bit ouchy on the price (1.25" £179.50), but 2 nm bandwidth is always going to cost. If I ever get any Sun, I might consider buying one.

That’s the catch - but it does seem to be a game changer, whereas the narrower (7nm) Continuum filter from Baader is of borderline benefit, according to the imagers on other forums. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 10nm and 7.5nm baader solar continuum filters and whilst the 10nm allows enough brightness to be dialled if for any set up or magnification that I might use, the 7.5nm sometimes means I run out of brightness and have to take the polarising filter out of the line to get as much light as I can.

I think a 2nm filter at Blue wavelengths is going to be quite dim for visual and so small exit pupils would be a challenge.

I'm sure I've tried deep sky filters on the sun before, a Hb filter would be not far off but I guess this Altair filter is very specifically designed and something slightly different is not going to show the same results.

should have stated that was only looking at this for astrophotography so image can be quite dim (and using a Herschel wedge to cut out majority of sunlight

If someone has used a 1nm filter would be interested to know if they see any structure (apart from sunspots) 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PeterW said:

What size scope do you need to benefit from it?

Peter

Hi Peter, to get high resolution of granulation, etc it depends on a number of factors including seeing. However the G-Band will enhance these with any size scope. I do use a 127mm achromatic scope at the mo stopped down to 100mm. The images I took above were taken with this along with a 3x barlow. You don't need an expensive refractor because you're only in one bandwidth. So a cheap refractor will suffice. My 127mm was just £250.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 21:00, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi Peter, to get high resolution of granulation, etc it depends on a number of factors including seeing. However the G-Band will enhance these with any size scope. I do use a 127mm achromatic scope at the mo stopped down to 100mm. The images I took above were taken with this along with a 3x barlow. You don't need an expensive refractor because you're only in one bandwidth. So a cheap refractor will suffice. My 127mm was just £250.

Fantastic image Nigella. Incredible detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1