Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 11th December

IDM

The weather forecast didn't seem very promising, with cloud followed by rain during the night. However, it was quite clear all afternoon and the Jet stream forecast was pretty good, so fortune favours the brave I set up in the C11 in the hope of learning something and captured a series of 60 and 90 second videos between 17.11 and 20.30, after which the clouds and rain rolled in. Exposure was set at 10ms and by setting a reasonable ROI I was getting a frame rate fluctuating between 95-107 FPS. By the time I packed up I had pretty much filled my laptops hard disk so I do need to think about how to manage the data.

Given that I have ended up with some 90 videos to process I have only checked at regular time points during the session. Unfortunately the GRS was just rotating off at the start and all the seeing was not that great. However, as the session progressed there was a period of really good clarity and at 19.51. I captured the image below. This was done using an explore scientific 2x extender into mt Zwo ASI 224MC camera (with UV/IR block filter). The videos was processed through PIPP, Autostakkert, Registax and Astro Surface. I am really pleased with the detail I have finally managed to resolve.

I did try winjupos on 9 x 60 second captures but haven't got that processing right yet. If I can get it better I may post that.

I am of course grateful for any feedback and recommendations on improvements that I can make.

Thanks for looking 

Ian

2023-12-11-2016_1-U-G-Jup_Final.png

• Like 9

I think your image has the potential to be quite good. It currently has a lot of noise in the form of the repetitive mesh pattern throughout. Have you applied any Topaz on it as some of the features do not look quite right?

49 minutes ago, Kon said:

I think your image has the potential to be quite good. It currently has a lot of noise in the form of the repetitive mesh pattern throughout. Have you applied any Topaz on it as some of the features do not look quite right?

Hi Kostas, Yes that image has been de-noised. Whilst the image is pretty good without denoise, it is not as crisp, hence i denoised with very low settings. What do you recommend to pull the detail out?

Thanks,

Ian

20 minutes ago, IDM said:

Hi Kostas, Yes that image has been de-noised. Whilst the image is pretty good without denoise, it is not as crisp, hence i denoised with very low settings. What do you recommend to pull the detail out?

Thanks,

Ian

Unless seeing was good, pushing the sharpening/wavelets hard will introduce too much noise on top of your signal; I think it has been mentioned a few times getting this balance is hard as you want a smooth image but without losing the details. I have recently found having a bid more pushed image and a softer one, and mix them in layers might soften the harder but pull some more details on the softer. If you want, upload your tiff after as!3  here. Derotation in winjupos with your other captures might also help. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Derotation in winjupos with your other captures might also help

Hi Kostas, based on your feedback I went back to the Winjupos result which was 9 x 60 seconds derotated and took that image back into Astro Surface and played with the settings to try and push the clarity and leave a smoother more natural look. This is the result. Any better?

2023-12-11-2014_0-U-G-Jup_pipp_lapl4_ap198 first astro der reproc.png

• Like 6

3 hours ago, IDM said:

Hi Kostas, based on your feedback I went back to the Winjupos result which was 9 x 60 seconds derotated and took that image back into Astro Surface and played with the settings to try and push the clarity and leave a smoother more natural look. This is the result. Any better?

Great job Ian. It looks very natural and some nice true details this time . I feel you can push it a bit more.

Edited by Kon