RA Drive Motor for EQ1 Mount

Ed in UK

Looking at possibly making a small investment in a RA Drive motor for my scope that fitted on a EQ1 Mount.

Had a quick search and can find some single speed ones for just over £30. These are battery driven, which I'm happy with so as not to have power cables drapped on the floor for a trip hazzard.

Any feed back from anyone is welcome please.

Single speed OK ?

I did notice there are some with multispeed drives for double the price worth looking at or not ?

It would be nice not to keep manually moving the scope especially at higher magnifications.

Any drawbacks with using them.

I'm assuming RA can still be adjusted manually with motor switched off.

TIA

Ed

I don't think it's worth spending a lot extra on an EQ1 mount, better to put the money towards a more capable mount.  A single speed motor will be adequate for visual use as the EQ1 is not recommended for imaging.    🙂

• Thanks 1

In my collection of stuff I have a EQ1 mount with the motor drive. Looking at it I converted it to run off a 12 volt power supply.

See the thumb screw on the  end of the drive coupling? you have to slacken it off to make it free to turn with the large chrome wheel.

IMG_20231206_193106.jpg

12 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I don't think it's worth spending a lot extra on an EQ1 mount, better to put the money towards a more capable mount.  A single speed motor will be adequate for visual use as the EQ1 is not recommended for imaging.    🙂

Thanks Peter.

Won't be using it for imaging, just making life alittle easier whilst observering. 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

In my collection of stuff I have a EQ1 mount with the motor drive. Looking at it I converted it to run off a 12 volt power supply.

See the thumb screw on the  end of the drive coupling? you have to slacken it off to make it free to turn with the large chrome wheel.

IMG_20231206_193106.jpg

Interesting the ones I've see attach to the opposite side where the flex cord/control attaches.

I'll see if I can post a link.

The problems with the EQ1 (I had the misfortune of owning two..) are

1) pot metal worm wheels

2) the terrible clutching mechanism, if you do get the RA motor

I realise not everyone can buy a better mount.. but a Vixen Polaris with scope was selling on ebay UK for 75 quid a few weeks ago. A much, MUCH more capable mount than an EQ1 (I owned two of those, too).

Edited by orly_andico
  • Thanks 1

Ditto to that. The cam lever shown was the clutch to pivot the motor that originally hung off that large protruding bolt and was held against the gear wheel by a spring , the cam lever rotated the motor drive pinion off the gear wheel to declutch. 

• Thanks 1

I had/have one of these that was used to drive my EQ1. Personally I found that it transformed my EQ1 from something barely adequate to useful. Eg when setup properly you didn’t need to touch anything, so wobbles were less of an issue. And when observing with my daughter, changing eyepieces etc there was lots of time. When observing the moon Alice enjoyed going up and down the terminator, stopping at something she found interesting, asking me what it was, knowing that that whatever it was would still be in the middle of the FOV by the time I took a look. 

I also added a bigger rechargeable battery, larger knob on the Pot and a little cheap volt meter over the motor so you could dial back the same speed.

It now drives my DIY EQ mount for my Skywatcher 200p Dob which I find superb. At the time it cost me £28 - best astronomy purchase I’ve made and one of the cheapest. 

• Thanks 1

@PeterStudz Thanks, really appreciate it.

It's on order now so hopefully here soon.

Much like you I hope that it will reduce the 'Fiddling' with the scope in order to stay on target, especially at higher magnifications.

Happy to gamble the £35, hopefully for the better. 🙂