Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last Night On Jupiter

bosun21

I was out again last night for another go at the Jovian giant. I was put off by the twinkling stars but pushed ahead anyway. The seeing was mediocre but at least there were no clouds about to spoil things. I captured a mix of 90 second and 2 minute SER's. 150 Maksutov and 585MC 197 fps. I was going to try my new IR pass filter but my fingers were too numb to swap them over. What settings do i need to change for the IR pass filter?

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 15

Nice capture and processing. You have pulled some really nice details with  the Mak.

Regarding IR, similar exposure to colour. I have been aiming for 70% histogram but most of my recent ones are at 90-95%; it seems to pull more details with less noise. Looking forward to seeing some of your IR. I hope you have managed to thaw since last night.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Very nice image. I use the same capture settings and duration for IR as I do for colour and process them almost identically (other than colour adjustments of course).

Thanks Geof. I take it that you capture in mono?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Just tried Winjupos for the first time. I don't know whether i have overdone the processing though. Thoughts?

2023-11-30-2110_0WIN.png.904a1e3e80cd9b9a6ff261403ee315cf.png

Well done, it doesn't look over processed, but what is causing that blue background, as it rather detracts from the image. Jupiter looks a bit yellow, but that may be the background playing with my eyes.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Well done, it doesn't look over processed, but what is causing that blue background, as it rather detracts from the image. Jupiter looks a bit yellow, but that may be the background playing with my eyes.

I have no idea where that came from. I'm still fumbling my way through all this new to me software. I will have a go at correcting it. It's distracting me as well.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2023 at 21:54, geoflewis said:

Is this any better?

Edited by bosun21