NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Timelapse of a Manchester Moonrise.

I thought I'd have a go at a Day to Night Moonrise timelapse over our brand new city centre super shiny high rise buildings 😎 So new they haven't even been rained on yet ☂️ Normally a Day to Night is a complicated manual nightmare but with the modern mirrorless cameras it's become much easier. Once you know what effect you want to achieve and the settings to get there then it's all done in camera and a video appears at the end of it all.

I set my Nikon Z6ii up in Aperture Priority at f8 to keep the buildings fairly sharp and, so as to keep Moon trailing to a minimum, I set the maximum exposure time to 3 seconds for a 70mm lens. During the exposing stages the settings went from F8, ISO 100 and 1/100 seconds all the way to F8, ISO 1100 at 3 seconds. All I then had to do was trim the beginning of the video as I'd started a bit too early.

The shooting spot is on the Manchester Ship Canal at Pomona Dock No. 3.

Video best viewed in 1080p

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 17

Very nice indeed, Dave (though I’m not sure I believe you that anything in the north west hasn’t been rained on!!).  I particularly love the cranes, boats and traffic adding some really nice dynamics too the foreground.  Day to nights are not easy!

If you’re getting into timelapses, two YT accounts potentially worth following are @MatthewVandeputte and @EmericTimelapse - two very good timelapsers who have some good tutorials and sequences (interspersed with the usual gear reviews etc).

• Like 1

Very nice transition from day to night. In the past I've tried a sunset time lapse with a manual camera which eventually worked ok but involved an awful lot of lot of faffing about in post-processing. Getting the camera to do it seems a much better idea 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Very nice indeed, Dave (though I’m not sure I believe you that anything in the north west hasn’t been rained on!!).  I particularly love the cranes, boats and traffic adding some really nice dynamics too the foreground.  Day to nights are not easy!

If you’re getting into timelapses, two YT accounts potentially worth following are @MatthewVandeputte and @EmericTimelapse - two very good timelapsers who have some good tutorials and sequences (interspersed with the usual gear reviews etc).

I was quite surprised how many boats went passed while I was there. There were the usual observation boats and one wide beam party barge ( Read floating pub ! ) that you could hear well before it appeared !

I'll have a look at those websites but I'll avoid the gear reviews :)

Dave.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John_D said:

Very nice transition from day to night. In the past I've tried a sunset time lapse with a manual camera which eventually worked ok but involved an awful lot of lot of faffing about in post-processing. Getting the camera to do it seems a much better idea 😁

I've had a play with LRTimelapse in the past but these new firmware additions within some cameras are outstanding. I think the latest Sony's and Canon's do the same things but I don't know enough about them to comment. Well, I know the Canon R5 and R6 will.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Hoping the R8 will!  Great choice of subject(s).  Enough happening to keep the timelapse intresting.  Nice one.  Paul

Cheers Paul, Urban nightscapes are pretty busy all round.

I've had a look round and can't find anything specific about the R8 but I'm assuming it will be able to do most things the R6 can. I believe the R can do similar stuff as well but you'd have to use a remote. I've watched a Canon video by Mathew Starling from a year ago which seems quite good and the main differences between our cameras is the menu list and the name printed on the front !

The only fly in the ointment I can think of with the R 8 is the battery life but Timelapses are quite frugal with all the non used stuff switched off.

Looking forward to a day to night over the Dales :)

Dave.

Edited by davew
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...