NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO ASI 120MM Mini USB 2.0 Mono Connection

groberts

I've always used the excellent Starlight Express Lodestar X2 camera for guiding in the past but currently putting together a new rig built around the AM5 mount and ASIair, so have to go full ZWO!  I have therefore purchased a  ZWO ASI 120MM Mini USB 2.0 Mono camerea paired with a William Optics 50mm for guiding. 

Just want to check:

1. That the camera only needs to be connected via the USB-C port on the camera to a USB 2.0 port i.e don't use the ethernet cable supplied too?
  2. Does this have to be a USB 2.0 port on the ASIair or can it also run through one of the spare USB 2.0 ports I have available on the back of the ASI 294MM Pro imaging camera being used?

Graham   

The 'ethernet' connection is actually the ST4 guide port ( 6 pin RJ12 connector) which is used for direct guiding control of the mount from the camera. As you will be using the ASIair software to do the guiding, the ST4 port is left unconnected. Ethernet uses 8 pin RJ45 connectors. 🙂

You can use any USB2 socket in your system which has a connection back to the ASIair, so the connected ASI294 camera USB2 socket is fine to use with the ASI120. You can also use any spare USB3 socket for a  USB2 cable as USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2.

Alan 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, groberts said:

Just want to check:

1. That the camera only needs to be connected via the USB-C port on the camera to a USB 2.0 port i.e don't use the ethernet cable supplied too?
  2. Does this have to be a USB 2.0 port on the ASIair or can it also run through one of the spare USB 2.0 ports I have available on the back of the ASI 294MM Pro imaging camera being used?

1. Only connect via USB port. The ST4 port is an option to control (via the mount auto guide port), but if you are using a software such as PHD2 then USB is the preferred option.

2. I have the 120MM mini and a ASI533mc pro and I connect the USB cable from the 120mini to the spare USB port at the back of the ASI533 (remember to connect the external power cable to main camera otherwise it doesnt always work)

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK I now have the ZWO ASI120 MM and the William Optics 50mm FL200mm guidescope which are connected up fine with the USB 2.0 port on the rear of the ASI294MM and seems OK, they're certainly 'talking' to each other - inevitably there's also been weeks of clouds (sorry guys!) so am just learning my way around the AM5 and ASIair plus indoors. 

Whilst I appreciate this may vary with sky condtions, what's the best gain setting for this camera when used as a guidescope?

Graham   

Edited by groberts