NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Heart, Soul and surrounding nebulosity

Adreneline

Hi Everyone.

This is an image almost three months in the making thanks to the painful weather we've all been subjected to over recent weeks, months, years!

The image comprises three panes totalling 19 hours of data taken with a RedCat 51 and ASI1600MM with 6nm Astronomik filters combined with two panes totalling 4 hours of data taken with a Samyang 135 and ASI1600MM with 3nm Antlia filters. Pre-processed in APP and post-processed in PI.

Nebula from both RedCat and Samyang data;  stars only from the SY135:

HS-36-wf_v2.thumb.jpg.4e47b852a3c930df99f7089fd7bd621b.jpg

Starless to reveal more clearly the extent of nebulosity:

HS-36-wf_v2_starless.thumb.jpg.d114f8456ba35569ccc93924bc73d0f7.jpg

Annotated:

HS-36-wf_v2-annotated.thumb.jpg.a5650b550173c6a5e10f53555a48b017.jpg

I was pleased to get the little Sh2-200 PN sneaking on at the side - the 135mm doesn't really do it justice.

As always with this region there is always something else just off the frame, but you have to stop somewhere!

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

Starless to reveal more clearly the extent of nebulosity

Excellent Adrian.  The extent of the nebulosity is clearly shown including the SNR to the lower left of the Heart (here) being subtly different in colour.  A great FOV showing the amount of interesting nebulosity there is capture in and around these two.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mackiedlm said:

Lovely image. Great colours and excellent details. Shame its upside-down 🤣

Thank you! As for being "upside-down" - 🥴 - not sure how that works with something that is circumpolar :

Screenshot2023-11-21at00_58_37.png.8af3e799801a84a5ba52ee022a6b5407.png

Looks downside-up to me at 10.35 tonight 😆

Adrian

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, geeklee said:

Excellent Adrian.  The extent of the nebulosity is clearly shown including the SNR to the lower left of the Heart (here) being subtly different in colour.  A great FOV showing the amount of interesting nebulosity there is capture in and around these two.

Thanks Lee. The extent of the SNR is in the Ha as you might expect, but the structure is surprisingly, to me, in the SII - there is virtually nothing in the OIII.

So much good stuff in Cassiopeia and Cepheus.

Adrian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfieGlos said:

Really nice image, and well done on the perseverance. 

The extra FOV and aperture you had over mine I recently completed really shows that fainter nebulosity well.

Thank you! I do like seeing nebula in context and there is so often a surprising amount going on around that needs to be included in the image; as I said above it is difficult knowing where to stop.

Thanks again.

Adrian