Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which ZWO Guide Camera

groberts

I need to purchase a suitable ZWO guide camera to go with a WO UniGuide scope and ASIiair plus.

The ASI 120MM mini seems to do the job ad is popular but from personal experience, is this camera OK for this purpose or are there other contenders to consider? 

Graham 

17 minutes ago, groberts said:

I need to purchase a suitable ZWO guide camera to go with a WO UniGuide scope and ASIiair plus.

The ASI 120MM mini seems to do the job ad is popular but from personal experience, is this camera OK for this purpose or are there other contenders to consider? 

Graham 

The ASI 120MM works for me. I’ve got two of them.

PS I should add I don’t use the WO Uniguide.   I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t  work.  The ZWO has a 1.25” nose piece and, as I recall, an extension comes with it if required ie if the focal plane is too far out from the telescope. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

I have three ASI120MM used as guide cameras, two of them are the mini version and they have all do the job well. The USB2-C connector on the mini gives a good reliable connection too. Depending on the guide scope you may need an 1.25 inch extension, as when in focus not much of the camera nosepiece is inside the scope.

Alan

• Like 1

Forgot to mention I have two of the WO 50mm guide scopes as well and use them with the ASI120mm. The nosepiece extension is recommended with this scope. I couldn't remember whether the extension tube came with the camera, but it looks like it does. 🙂 The ASI220 is newer and higher spec but is significantly more expensive.  I've never found the 120 to be short on sensitivity and the sensor size is plenty big enough.

One thing I found useful with the nosepiece cameras is attaching a 1.25" eyepiece parfocal ring on it. With a helical focuser, adjust it to get focus, then tighten up the parfocal ring and you can then rotate the camera for orientation without it losing focus.

Alan

• Like 2

Any camera will do really. I use my 224mc with my 30mm GS and a 290mm with a 50mm GS. Larger sensors allow more starfield to be seen, monos pick up more faint stuff.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1